Special one-shot teaser image and discussion

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

Special one-shot teaser image and discussion

Post by JFR » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

A little something different for you guys this time. The folks in some of the higher-level patron forums have already seen this, some time ago. Because it is so different from the other teaser images, I am putting it in its own thread. Future teasers will be back in the main thread.

I thought I'd post a comparison of two images to show the differences in image quality from the beginning of BEW and now. At the beginning, Wolfschadowe had only a mediocre rendering computer rig, entry-level to mid-range rendering software (3DLight), a very modest set of "resources" to add to his images and beginner skills. Now, he has more powerful computing and graphics gear, higher-end rendering software (iRay), a much more extensive library of resources and a much improved skill-set. Those patronage dollars have been put to good use.

The first image below is straight out of the game and was one of the earlier renders done for the game. It is our first view of the strip club, Mannie's G-Spot, when Brad walks in on Wednesday night after work. The only thing I have done to the image is to brighten the shadows a little to make it easier to see details. Notice the muddy textures on the ceiling, floor and bar top. Also, look at the rather unrealistic, almost cartoony, props like bottles behind the bar, the bar stools, sofa and furniture around the scene. Then look at the light sources - only a few, with direct lighting and virtually no specular highlights (reflections) on shiny surfaces. Then notice that the most people Wolf could manage in a busy scene like this was 5 or 6. Trying to put in more people would bog his system down - or maybe cause it to burst into flames. [jk] All this was state of the art for BEW 2-1/2 years ago when it was started.

Now look at the second image, which is a pure test render that has never been seen in the game, at least so far. Notice the rich textures on the floor and especially on the bar-top. The props are much better and more realistic - bottle on the bar, bar stools, etc. The lights are varied and use both direct and indirect lighting and reflections are apparent on various shiny surfaces. Last, look at how many people are present! It is a busy night at the club and the people are more varied and realistic looking. To my eye, this is much closer to photo-realistic.

For a special challenge, notice the guy in the foreground, in a grey sweatshirt, holding one elbow with the other arm. He might have been seen elsewhere in the game. Where?

Image 1.
spoiler: show

Image 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chazz
Lunch Patron

Re: Special one-shot teaser image and discussion

Post by Chazz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 am

That second image looks so much better. Can't wait to finally see the final product with all the images if they come out like this. :D :D
I'm going to leave the guy one alone as I know from another area where I have seen the picture but not at this texture. This texture is really good as you can see more and it looks more realistic as a photo captured.

Boogie

Post by Boogie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

The second picture looks fantastic! Since most pictures in the game are less than 100 KB, will new content now be pushing the 1 MB threshold per picture like this one? I don't have any problem with expanded file size as many new adult games are climbing over 1 GB. I'd rather my favourite game be as good looking as possible.

Boogie

Post by Boogie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Oh, and for the guy:

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Boogie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm
The second picture looks fantastic! Since most pictures in the game are less than 100 KB, will new content now be pushing the 1 MB threshold per picture like this one? ...
I haven't really talked about that with Wolfschadowe but I don't think so. One of the things he does to keep the size of downloads reasonable is to convert the images from the original high-resolution PNG to medium-res Jpeg. Jpeg is a compressed image format while PNG is not compressed and tends to make for quite large files. The test image I used for this thread is still in the original PNG, thus the larger file size. While the compression can be undesirable in photographs, it is virtually un-noticeable in graphic files such as those in BEW.

Using smaller file sizes for game images is one of the little things that I feel sets some of the game developers like Wolf and Mortze (IMHO the best render artist out there) apart from the bulk of the other guys who just use and post whatever comes out of their rendering software. As a result, games like BEW, Finding Miranda and Pandora all come in at approximately 100 MB for very large games with over 1,000 images and pages while much smaller games with a fraction of the images often exceed 1 GB to download.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Chazz wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 am
Can't wait to finally see the final product with all the images if they come out like this.
That image is representative of how the Thursday Strip Club will look. In fact, it's a test render for the first frame of the Thursday Strip club scene
Boogie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm
Since most pictures in the game are less than 100 KB, will new content now be pushing the 1 MB threshold per picture like this one?
Nope. All images are rendered to lossless PNG format. Any post-work is done to those original images where layers and effects can be used easily. once finalized, images are then compressed into JPEG format with a target of being less than 100kB each. It is difficult to tell a difference in quality from the lossless to the jpeg.
JFR wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 pm
Mortze (IMHO the best render artist out there)
Agreed. :)

sponky76

Post by sponky76 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Technically png is a compressed image format, but while jpg compression tends to destroy information in the images, png does not.
Of course another big difference is that you can set the extent to how much you want to compress jpg images. The size difference doesn't have to be all that great. Otoh png images can have transparency in them, while jpgs can not.
Usually you only notice the quality loss in jpg images if you zoom in a bit :-)
Advantages to both formats.
We should just be glad that Wolfschadowe doesn't use the raw image data before it's been saved to the compressed formats :-D

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:07 am

Boogie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm
Oh, and for the guy: ...
Got it first time. :D