Rules for depiction and discussion of sexual related content on this forum.

Look here for forum rules and frequently asked question.
Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Rules for depiction and discussion of sexual related content on this forum.

Post by Wolfschadowe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 am

Recently there was a discussion in the off-topic section regarding what types of sexual content is or is not tolerated on the forum, especially around game content. This is a much more complex topic than it appears on the surface, so I will try to explain here in a way to help understanding.
There is an easy way and a hard way to make content rules on a forum. Here’s the easy TLDR way:
When in doubt, follow these rules.

• No rape.
• No underage sex.
• No Incest.

I don’t want to use the easy way, and here’s why.
When we talk about good game content, a lot of that, especially in adult fiction, having strong story and characterization is important. In order to have strong characterization, there must be a depth of experience to a character, otherwise you have shallow, stereotypical airheads in the game and story.

Most people are damaged in some way. They have bad experiences, bad parenting, bad luck, and any manner of bad things happening, big and small, on a regular basis. These bad experiences are paramount to building character, both in real life, and in stories. Hence the term “characterization.” A well-rounded character has both good and bad things happening to them. For example, Emily is going through a break-up with a long-term fiancé. Azumi is devastated by her breakup with Natalie, etc.. It's the flaws that make beauty in diamonds and beauty alike. Same for characterization.

But saying “characterization” is not an excuse to plunge head-first into taboo concepts either. So, let’s look at the first item on the list.
  • No rape.
This basically means don’t force someone to have sex when they don’t want to. Non-consensual sex. That one is clear and straight forward. It considers using physical force, mental force such as coercion, drugs that inhibit judgement to a large degree, authority, blackmail, etc... The problem is that rape unfortunately happens. It’s damaging. It’s scarring, it’s a horrible thing for anyone who as experienced it. Also, when used correctly in a story, it can be a powerful storytelling and characterization tool.

There is one character in BEW who in an original draft was struggling with the after-effects of being raped. After conversations with testers, most notably ExLibris, I decided to soften it to an attempted rape that was foiled, and with other storytelling I can get the same effect to the character. This attack on the character happened before the game start and is not at all related to the player and would have been discussed as an occurrence of the past. Once those episodes come out, you will understand that character a lot better. No, I’m not saying who. There are other, limited instances where depicting rape in a game or story might be beneficial, although I think a lot of thought should be put into whether it’s necessary to the story or not. So, without going too far into the rabbit hole on the topic, I want to adjust the first rule above to:

Revised first rule
spoiler: show
Next let’s talk about the next one:
  • underage sex.
What is it? How is it defined? If we are in Nigeria, then the age of consent is 11. If we are in Portugal, then the age of consent is 21. In many middle east countries, marriage is the only limit, as sex is only permitted between married people. So, for a global game like this, what do we consider that true age of consent?

Let’s look at the purpose behind it. It’s to protect children from predators, and in my opinion, comes down to non-consensual sex, primarily through coercion from authority figures. Once local laws come into play, however, it gets dicey, as in the U.S. it’s illegal to even sketch to stick figures having sex on a diner napkin if they are labeled and depicted as children.

But what about two under-age teenagers engaging consensually to sex with each other? Is there a reason for it in the story? In some parts of the world they are consensual, and in others they aren’t. For this site and the BEW game, we must conform to U.S. Law. Of course, even U.S. law isn’t clear on it. In brief summary, For the U.S. and any games discussed on this site, consensual sex in the us is ok if….

Revised second rule
spoiler: show
Moving on to..
  • Incest
The main reason, in my opinion, that incest is reviled is that it is so often also closely associated with rape or child abuse. There are also genetic health concerns for any child resulting from incestual relationships.

Personally, I have little to no interest in incest fantasies or storytelling. With that said, if the sex is truly consensual, and does not violate the Rape or Underage standard depicted above, I’m perfectly fine with games about incest being discussed the forum. I simply strongly caution regarding parent/teen related depictions of incest as it is extremely difficult to prove that is not rape or molestation occurring due to coercion from an authority figure, and again, since most child abuse is committed by family members. Once again, if in doubt, leave it out.

Let me reiterate, no child abuse or molestation will be tolerated. Period. Exclamation point. Ban hammer, and IP Address turn over to your local law enforcement.

Feel free to discuss and/or debate below; however, heed this warning. Keep it classy and mature, without politics or religious preaching or the warning and ban hammers will come down HARD.