Seeking opinions on a game design idea.

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: Seeking opinions on a game design idea.

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Joeschwartz wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 am
I do agree with Mosky that it would feel to forced and limiting for players to only have one path on their first playthrough.
Hi Joeschwartz, and welcome to the forum!

I suspect a bit of miscommunication here from me, although it doesn't change the general point that you are making. If I choose this route, I certainly wouldn't limit the first playthrough to just one path. Instead, I would limit the first playthrough to any of the standard paths. Elite paths would open based on knowledge gain. that means five paths per love interest would be open from the start of the game, assuming the full game has been released.

It might be that some of the confusion was that I said when I re-release the game by episode, the episodes will by released by path instead of by scene, which would lead through the full game story faster and narrower in the early episodes. Meaning the possibility of seeing endgame of day 7 for one path by Episode 7 or 8 instead of barely getting to the evening of Day 2 on Episode 8 for the original version. There would be player participation on which paths are continued though.

If I did lock elite and corrupt paths, I would give a notification that a new path was unlocked. I'm leaning against the locking method at this point, especially after the great points Moksys and Joeschwartz made. I might just put a notice at the beginning of the game about the intended design but encouraging play in their own style.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Joeschwartz wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 am
But, what I love about this game is the depth...that I CAN try all sorts of different approaches with the women, knowing that there could be very different outcomes. It would be disappointing to have to play it all the way through once WITHOUT that depth in order to unlock the depth.

Thanks for making such an amazing game. I'm glad you're still innovating and creating and I'm looking forward to whatever you end up creating. (yes, I'll still play it even if you do one path at a time!)
There are a couple of games I play that use the 'groundhog day' approach to introduce knowledge that allows the MC to progress through paths in the game. Inceton's Echoes of Lust does it quite well, but there are not many path options, and you have no control over the repetition at day end.

Time Loop Hunter by Hydrahenker is a bit more like BEW and has multiple paths, and it gets quite frustrating to play at times, because you have to remember what path you are on and which girl's or girls' timeline you are trying to progress. You also have partial control over the timeline in terms of whether you restart the day you are in or the whole timeline.

Overall, I would not advocate going down this route for BEW.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:00 pm
If I did lock elite and corrupt paths, I would give a notification that a new path was unlocked. I'm leaning against the locking method at this point, especially after the great points Moksys and Joeschwartz made. I might just put a notice at the beginning of the game about the intended design but encouraging play in their own style.
There's no reason why you couldn't continue the original game practice of indicating that a particular branch would be dealt with in a later update when players click on the relevant option.

Some games have the equivalent of 'A major decision point is coming up: you might want to save your game now to allow you to pursue other options in other runs through'. If you had that sort of thing just before a decision that would potentially lead to a stub for connecting a later episode, players would be encouraged to create saves at key points in the game, rather than just in case a particular choice led to different scenarios.

RayManZ

Post by RayManZ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:46 am

What happened to the discord place? I cant find it anywhere anymore. I loved the updates.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:24 pm

RayManZ wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:46 am
What happened to the discord place? I cant find it anywhere anymore. I loved the updates.
It's still there.

https://discord.com/channels/225338096210804746

RayManZ

Post by RayManZ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:23 pm

I don't see anything. Loggedin or loggedout. Did something change? It did work fine... Whats the channel name?

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Try the link at the top of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=831

It should work. The other link may have expired.

RayManZ

Post by RayManZ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:43 pm

i have no idea why, but a get the message: no textchannels... On both links btw.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Weird, does this work? https://discord.gg/ubQtTwBbgx

If not, PM me on discord at Wolfschadowe#9999 and I will send the invite in the app. the server is "Brads Erotic Week"

RayManZ

Post by RayManZ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:06 pm

Yes! That does work. Thank you :)

p22

Post by p22 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:46 pm

I actually prefer idea, as originally envisioned in the first post.

It will give unique New Game Plus mode feeling, something that I think is really missing in games of this type.

So, I say go for it. In fact, this will make replaying the game so much more fun, since you won't be replaying the same game, but gain new storylines based on what you did in previous playthrough. With new playthroughs being juicer and juicer the more knowledge you accumulate.

I think it is fantastic idea!
Please keep going in this direction.

EDIT:
I would in no way compare this idea to Time Loop Hunter, since that game functions more like puzzle game with its time resetting mechanic.

The difference here would be that you play whole story, then start story again with new information, which unlocks more paths. Then finish, then start again and get more paths, etc...

EDIT2:
Also, this would require ability to reset knowledge to zero, if you want to get "first time" experience again.