Game Engine Rebuild Progress

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: Game Engine Rebuild Progress

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:08 am

boulimanus wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Exciting.
I'll be hoping Natalie remains and not too different. I loved her personality and model a lot.
Personality will be the same. Model will be different for reasons of compatibility, but the overall appearance should be similar. It will obviously be the character Natalie, but will also obviously be a different "actress" playing the character. If I try to match Natalie's looks exactly, it will look wrong. In this case it's better to try for a similar appearance instead of the same appearance.

boulimanus

Post by boulimanus » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 am

Sounds good.
Also love the idea of the legacy mode for the old timers who got to love this game from then.

Ye Olde Farte

Post by Ye Olde Farte » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Sad to say I don't follow a bit of this new engine discussion so I feel the need to ask: will I need to redownload the game again and start over once this new engine is online?

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Ye Olde Farte wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:56 pm
will I need to redownload the game again and start over once this new engine is online?
Short answer: Yes.
boulimanus wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 am
Also love the idea of the legacy mode for the old timers who got to love this game from then.
Legacy mode will certainly be included. This is mainly because it's helpful to me and makes the rebuild go faster because I can use the old images and text as placeholders as I build the logic and framework of the engine. Next, I lay new content "on top" of the legacy content and that can include completely different paths. The best part for me is that going back and forth between legacy and new is just an instant toggle. While not a perfect example, you could say it's like tracing an image through thin paper, and can be faster than drawing a new image from scratch. Especially for someone of my limited talent. heh.

Ye Olde Farte

Post by Ye Olde Farte » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:14 am

From my perspective, "limited" is not a word I would use to describe your talent.

lurking
Awesome Patron!

Post by lurking » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:13 pm
Ye Olde Farte wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:56 pm
will I need to redownload the game again and start over once this new engine is online?
Short answer: Yes.
I wonder how many of us are happy to be forced into a chance to play from the start again.
Here's one!

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:11 pm

lurking wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 pm
I wonder how many of us are happy to be forced into a chance to play from the start again.
Here's one!
I, for one, am fine with playing the game from the beginning. I don't even understand people who want to cheat code or hack their way through games like they have something better to do. If you have something better to do why play the game in the first place?

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:26 pm

infiniteignorance wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:11 pm
... I don't even understand people who want to cheat code or hack their way through games like they have something better to do...
Instant gratification. Knowing there is something sexy waiting behind "door number 3," they don't want to work through #1 and #2. It is a way of playing, just not the game. Such tactics turn an engaging game into a visual novel, which is a valid genre. But BEW has never been just a VN.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:29 pm

JFR wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:26 pm
infiniteignorance wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:11 pm
... I don't even understand people who want to cheat code or hack their way through games like they have something better to do...
Instant gratification. Knowing there is something sexy waiting behind "door number 3," they don't want to work through #1 and #2. It is a way of playing, just not the game. Such tactics turn an engaging game into a visual novel, which is a valid genre. But BEW has never been just a VN.
Maybe I'm the old fart screaming, "Get off my lawn!", when it comes to games but I like an element of realism. To me that's one of the best things about this game. Take that away and it's just like thousands of other games that aren't all that memorable.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:06 am

There will be some differences. The intro is being rewritten a bit although it will be fundamentally the same. The Wednesday office will also be expanded a little and it's likely that all the writing will get a bit of a polishing pass as we go. The game logic will also be rebalanced. Replaying shouldn't be too horrible. :D

az89

Post by az89 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:44 pm

any news for november?

MJLHistory

Post by MJLHistory » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:20 pm

just waiting paitently, hope to see something soon :)

lurking
Awesome Patron!

Post by lurking » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:05 pm

I guess all we need is ...

Faith. 8-)

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:05 pm

Right now I'm working primarily on game logic. The primary reason for that is for the animations and importing from DAZ to Unreal is currently bugged, but should be resolved in the 4.26 version of Unreal. The 4.26 previews are out but a couple critical plugins that I use haven't been updated yet. They usually get updated in the stable version.

I did post a first look of the new Emily Here on Discord

nymph21

Post by nymph21 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:27 am

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:05 pm
I did post a first look of the new Emily Here on Discord
I am not able to see that discord channel. Please could you post the invite link to join the channel.