A couple of pics and thoughts

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

Re: A couple of pics and thoughts

Post by JFR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Can you pull the camera back a little. She looks like you were too close with too short a focal length, making the nose/bridge seem disproportionately large. The rest looks good, although I have to admit, not much like the original. Understandable I guess.

MJLHistory

Post by MJLHistory » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Extreme closeup ala "Wayne's World"
my vote is still with the original Hair Color and Eyes
tho i do see things in the new i like too

its your creation Wolf do with its as you wish its all good :)

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Much better. Good work. I'll add this for what it's worth. The hair in this version is much more lifelike. In the earlier redo it had a look that was not "real"??? Having trouble putting it into words. I guess the newer one has more detail which I like.

boulimanus

Post by boulimanus » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 am

I like the tweaks it works well now.
I think one last thing I'd say is the new model seems to have a much rounder face than before. Not necessarily something to change but a reason she looks quite different. Up to you though.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:32 pm
So a few tweaks on Faith. Thoughts?

Look at the pic first then, if interested what I changed below.

Faith head-shot on the beach. No makeup. Neutral Expression

Thoughts? If I agree, I'll tweak, If I disagree I'll leave it.
Works for me, but her hair should be more ginger, although girls change their hair colour all the time, so it's no biggie.

To my mind, all you need to do is recapture that mischievous look from the day 1 evening renders, so no pressure :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:12 pm

JFR wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:45 pm
Can you pull the camera back a little.
Sure thing.

For those of you who don't do a lot of 3d art, a lot of the time comes in waiting for renders. The reason for this is that we can't really see the end product properly until the render. Here's what it looks like when working. That means a lot of working renders to see our progress before actually doing the final image.

Faith - Working View
spoiler: show
And here's what it looks like Rendered.
You can see it looks very different. The background is what is called an HDRI Lightmap in this case, meaning it's essentially a dome that is providing the lighting as if she is standing on a beach. It goes 360 degree's around the figure. It's not just the background though, even some of the shapes have changed as subdivision of triangles and various other rendering factors come into play for the final image.

Faith is in an Neutral A pose, which along with a T Pose are the primary starting points of human figures. This is pure neutral which basically is like a statue. We never see people in a pure neutral pose, so it's always going to look a little creepy. It's by posing where we begin to see personality.

Faith Posed
MJLHistory wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 pm
my vote is still with the original Hair Color and Eyes
So...the funny thing is, this is the original hair color and eyes. The differences are the lighting, and the different render engine. The actual texture maps and color palate are the same. It's also the same hair color that JFR said looked browner (and it did) in the earlier renders in the brown room with different lighting. Hair is very hard in 3d rendering.
dutch wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm
The hair in this version is much more lifelike. In the earlier redo it had a look that was not "real"???
Yep, Hair is hard. Every change in lighting, I have to tweak the shaders for the hair (Things like reflectivity, top coat penetration, etc..) It is especially true when going from dim light to bright light. Get the shaders wrong and suddenly the hair looks like plastic barbie doll hair, or a bad wig.

I'm not a good 3d artist, and this stuff is hard. It might take me 2 or three days, or even a week or two to get the first shot right in a new scene. Once it's set up though, I can usually get a sting of shots fast just changing poses, expressions and generating the illusion of conversation. Maybe as much as 10 a day if I'm really cruising. Then if there's a major shift in the scene, say from sitting at the bar, to sitting at a table in the same bar, that's actually a huge shift of lighting, even though it doesn't seem like it is. You photographers out there likely have an idea of what I'm talking about here. Once you get that first shot set up, check the lighting, white balance, etc... You can snap a bunch of pictures. Move 20 feet away, and change the angle slightly and it's a whole new ballgame...I think. I'm not much of a photographer either. heh.

Anyway, interested in your thoughts of the pulled back and posed versions. See more of the old Faith in the posed pic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:12 pm
JFR wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:45 pm
Can you pull the camera back a little.
Sure thing.
That did the trick. Looking a lot better now.

MJLHistory

Post by MJLHistory » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:18 am

yes the posed shot makes all the difference....thx wolf she looks great :)

giacomolamberti

Post by giacomolamberti » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm

The new faith is astonishing and I like the "rework" of Azumi.
Great job wolf!

hojohn

Post by hojohn » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:01 am

Just my $0.02. Faith is great to me any way at all and every way I have seen.
Azumi - I do like the toned arms, at least. I feel like that is a slight improvement. Not sure about the 6 pack.

palinathas
BEW Tester

Post by palinathas » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Hey all, back from a long absence. Got some extra time on my hands again! LOVING the new renders Wolf! Can't wait to jump into new sections of the game.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:52 pm

I think the new Azumi art is better. But I'd trade you the six pack abs for toned and defined legs. If you have a question about what I'm thinking take a look at some of the female high divers. Great definition but not over developed.

winter

Post by winter » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Excellent job with the new graphics!

I know what it's like to move from one tool to another, and I'm glad you found a method that works better for you, and I love the results.
I love the new Faith on the beach. I think you hit the nail on the head. Of course tweak as you see fit, but I think you've done the heavy lifting on that one.

Azumi 2.0 is great! I think you folks are right on when noting that "at rest" the regular 2.0 is great, but when exerted, more muscle tone showing is appropriate. I think that's realistic, but I'm guessing that's a tall order for a game developer, to have multiple models just to show different muscle tone based on physical stress.

Sorry for being away - life does that, but I'm glad to see this activity and interest upon returning.

For the record, I think you're a fine 3d artist, and are doing a wonderful job with this game!

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great feedback, and to let you all know I'm still around!

Valerielychee
Dinner Patron

Post by Valerielychee » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Better late than never, right? So here's my thoughts on Faith: I really preferred the old Faith, this one seems too "perfect" for me. And I'm under the impression that she's always had a slight "eye problem" (slight squinting), and for me it was part of her charm, so I would prefer it to stay that way. But hey, that's only my opinion (so please don't kill me)