Episode 4 Voting description

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: Episdode 4 Voting description

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Currently, my thoughts for changes for EP5 voting and beyond are:
  1. Have only two options
  2. Both options have equal duration
  3. Whatever path focus won the previous vote is excluded from the next vote, or possibly the next two votes
That means that For EP5, the votes would be: (unoffically here, subject to change, yada yada)
  • Wednesday Diner with Natalie, and Thursday office Strip Club branch.
  • Thursday evening Faith Focused Bar date.
Another idea that I'm toying with, but am undecided on is to offer the two options, but the vote is for which of the two is released first, and then the other immediately follows without a vote.

d22249
Insane Patron!

Post by d22249 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote: That means that For EP5, the votes would be: (unoffically here, subject to change, yada yada)
  • Wednesday Diner with Natalie, and Thursday office Strip Club branch.
  • Thursday evening Faith Focused Bar date.
Another idea that I'm toying with, but am undecided on is to offer the two options, but the vote is for which of the two is released first, and then the other immediately follows without a vote.
I like this idea. Tough call as to which I'd vote for though. I want Wednesday finished but do I want that more than a Faith focused date?
The fact that the other one follows (3-4 months later?) makes either choice more palatable.

Sebastian
Insane Patron!

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:45 am

Hell I would just make it easier on yourself and don’t do the vote thing at all. Figure out a chronological order for the episodes and do it that way. No more skipping ahead only to backtrack later. This is how time works; I vote we do the game the same way :P
You want me to put my hand where....... Ok you asked for it.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:56 am

Sebastian wrote:Hell I would just make it easier on yourself and don’t do the vote thing at all. Figure out a chronological order for the episodes and do it that way. No more skipping ahead only to backtrack later. This is how time works; I vote we do the game the same way :P
Not really doing much skipping or backtracking yet. It seems that way with the diner scene, and that may be the odd man out, but the majority of the diner option is actually occurring at the same time as the winning option. Meaning with the winner, we will see the results of the Wednesday bar date during the afternoon at the office. On the diner option we would be listening to Emily talk about what she was up to the night before during the afternoon at the office. Both branches end at home deciding where to go for your Thursday night date, and with who. That's where the branches really start piling up.

As for what's easier for me, vote or no vote, they are equal.

ExLibris
Master Tester / Moderator

Post by ExLibris » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:36 am

d22249 wrote:Once again the option with the least amount of time before release won.
Someone at Shark's Lagoon admitted that that was their main criteria, so you might have a point. Personally, I blamed option 1's victory on the fact that its description mentioned the word 'erotic' five times (compared to two for option 2).

On reflection though, I have to wonder how many people actually read the detailed descriptions, as opposed to simply being guided by the ingame descriptions. If so, those people were working with potentially misleading information given what had to be omitted due to the limited space (eg. the ingame descriptions didn't cover which future options would be unlocked by each option, which resulted in the 'Natalie' option barely mentioning Natalie at all)

Anyhow, I think that lowering the number of options in future would be preferable in terms of keeping the different storylines balanced and limiting the number of disappointed voters. However, I'm still unconvinced that having a vote does that much to help engagement. Given BEW's quality and production values it pretty much sells itself, so additional measures aren't really required. If you do want to canvas the opinions of the playerbase, I think it would make sense to give the views of patrons more weight.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 am

ExLibris wrote: If you do want to canvas the opinions of the playerbase, I think it would make sense to give the views of patrons more weight.
I actually want to do this at some point in the future. The main difficulty is controlling it properly, and then also making it so that there is a value to that weight. The last voting round had nearly 4000 voters, so giving patrons a double vote weight...well that wouldn't have a lot of effect to the overall results, so I have different things floating around in the back of my mind chewing on different solutions. I'm sure similar activities are going on in Kexter's back-brain as well. I do want to give patrons more influence, if for no other reason than their continued support and confidence in me and the project.

While nothing is set in stone yet, two aspects of the next vote that I'm 99% sure of is that there will only be two options, and both options will be of equal duration.

ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Post by ut1stgear » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:
ExLibris wrote: If you do want to canvas the opinions of the playerbase, I think it would make sense to give the views of patrons more weight.
I actually want to do this at some point in the future. The main difficulty is controlling it properly, and then also making it so that there is a value to that weight. The last voting round had nearly 4000 voters, so giving patrons a double vote weight...well that wouldn't have a lot of effect to the overall results, so I have different things floating around in the back of my mind chewing on different solutions. I'm sure similar activities are going on in Kexter's back-brain as well. I do want to give patrons more influence, if for no other reason than their continued support and confidence in me and the project.

While nothing is set in stone yet, two aspects of the next vote that I'm 99% sure of is that there will only be two options, and both options will be of equal duration.
Some thoughts. 1 Leo has not yet uploaded the latest version but has the vote link. 2 found BEW on Gamecore and it has EP3 loaded. There was post that pointed out that votes from PF1 were based on EP1 and EP2 only and not the updated EP3. 3 What I don't know is whether Gamecore has hosted BEW from the beginning. I also don't know how many patrons there are playing from this site. 4 The hard part in determining where to draw the line is that whatever site they play from every player has access to this thread although most will not be able to post because they are not patrons. PF1 would be of concern unless Leo updates the game since the votes will always be based on only E1 and EP2 when we may be on EP5, 6 or 7 and so on. I don't think I tried to vote more than once but I did go to the poll screen more than once before it closed thinking I would be able to tell which one I did vote for like the last time. Couldn't clearly tell since I forgot which one although I am certain I didn't vote for Jasmine Inclusion.

My point is that the vote count from PF1 may start to dwindle as the game evolves and they realize they haven't played all episodes. 4000 valid votes is a lot more than I would have expected so kudos on getting the attention of the AIF world.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:07 am

ut1stgear wrote:1 Leo has not yet uploaded the latest version but has the vote link.
Yeah, we can inject stuff onto the menu. I'm kind of disappointed that Leo has yet to update the game. At some point we may provide a "Play new episodes here" link or something. Don't know though, we'll see what happens over time.
ut1stgear wrote:2 found BEW on Gamecore and it has EP3 loaded.
That became an approved free site with EP3. Hopefully they will be better at keeping the game up to date than Leo has so far.
ut1stgear wrote:The hard part in determining where to draw the line is that whatever site they play from every player has access to this thread although most will not be able to post because they are not patrons.
Only the Patron area is locked. This area is open to anyone who registers on the forum (i.e. blues).

I think the last count was about 68,000 unique players in June. So...yea...that happened. Heh.

kexter
Developer / Moderator

Post by kexter » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:06 am

Wolfschadowe wrote:Only the Patron area is locked. This area is open to anyone who registers on the forum (i.e. blues).
Clarification: This area of the forum is visible even without registering or logging in.

ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Post by ut1stgear » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:59 pm

kexter wrote:
Wolfschadowe wrote:Only the Patron area is locked. This area is open to anyone who registers on the forum (i.e. blues).
Clarification: This area of the forum is visible even without registering or logging in.
Thanks. That's what I figured sice I was able to read this thread from a direct link from the vote link.