Mansion? City?

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

Mansion? City?

Post by JFR » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:17 pm

Ok, it has been days since the last post anywhere here and that is too quiet. I realize the team is busily working to incorporate 2 - or perhaps 3 - inclusions into the upcoming episode 6 but still.

My next conjecture is about the nice but strange-looking house with the circular drive we have only seen so far in the Game Manual. I have my ideas on who lives there but no clue when, or if, we might actually see it in-game. I am also interested in the unusual architecture. I don't think you could actually sell that house to human people.

[spoiler]I think it is where Sere and Lorien live and work out of. I suspect that means we won't actually see the place until Saturday or after.[/spoiler]

Also, I have seen comments to the effect that the city in the game is Boise, Idaho. Is that canon or just conjecture? I have been to Boise and wouldn't recognize it in the images but that means nothing as I didn't go to every neighborhood downtown.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: Mansion? City?

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:15 pm

I believe that this is the image that JFR is talking about for the mansion
[spoiler="Mansion"]
Instructions2.jpg
[/spoiler]

By canon, the game city is Boise, Idaho. Two things to remember, first is that due to an expansion of nearby Mountain Home AFB in the 1950's, as well as some associated Titan silos also nearby, additional jobs were created leading to a larger Boise in the game universe than we see in today's world, although it's still a relatively small city. Second, there is no in-game effort to actually match any city sights. I simply don't have the assets or skills for doing that, although some major landmarks are present in some views of day 2, such as the central river.

Boise was chosen for the books (and as a result, the game) because the desire was to have a smaller city that was kind of off by itself, but with access to various Military and Govt facilities like Mt. Home AFB, and even the INL facility, which even in the real world is one of those places that takes up 900 square miles of land, tends to have patrolling attack helicopters, Bradleys, and "helpful" people who happen to show up suddenly if you stop your car on the nearby highway. :o

The city is rarely referred to by name, however, and acts as a model more than having any significant story element.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:I believe that this is the image that JFR is talking about for the mansion
[spoiler="Mansion"]
Instructions2.jpg
[/spoiler]
That's the one, thanks.

Also, thanks for the background info on the city.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:... even the INL facility, which even in the real world is one of those places that takes up 900 square miles of land, tends to have patrolling attack helicopters, Bradleys, and "helpful" people who happen to show up suddenly if you stop your car on the nearby highway. :o ...
Sort of like an Area 51- North. :ugeek:

ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Post by ut1stgear » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Haven't seen that image. Not sure what the manual is. Or where to find it.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:39 pm

ut1stgear wrote:Haven't seen that image. Not sure what the manual is. Or where to find it.
Main menu, Help, Instructions. That opens the Game Manual. If you haven't read through it once you have missed an achievement appropriately titled RTFM.

ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Post by ut1stgear » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:43 pm

JFR wrote:
ut1stgear wrote:Haven't seen that image. Not sure what the manual is. Or where to find it.
Main menu, Help, Instructions. That opens the Game Manual. If you haven't read through it once you have missed an achievement appropriately titled RTFM.
Thanks. It's been a LOOOng time since I went to the instructions. Will look again.