Which idea appeals to you more?

Anything goes, but forum rules still apply. All unicorns will be shot on sight.
Shadowofmyself

Which idea appeals to you more?

Post by Shadowofmyself » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:56 pm

I've been thinking about writing again. I've a couple different ideas floating in my head and I'm curious which idea others might find more appealing to read.
  • Historical Western - The journey of a young man who tries to save his sister from New York corruption in the 1830s.
  • Superhero - After participating in a clinical drug trial to help pay off debt, our hero is suddenly declared a national strategic asset. Follow along as he tries to regain his freedom.
  • Isekai, LitRPG - After a night of partying, the MC is transported to a world reminiscent of the old Final Fantasy games.
  • Xuanhuan - Orphaned at the time of his birth, a cultivator seeks to understand his place in the world while trying to balance familial obligations and personal desires.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Re: Which idea appeals to you more?

Post by infiniteignorance » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:26 am

I'll have to sleep on this and get back with you. All have possibilities.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:30 am

Of the 4 ideas I'd lean towards the historical western. But the 1830's were very early in westward expansion. So keep that in mind. I mean New York City has corruption in any decade you pick so you're not limited.

Shadowofmyself

Post by Shadowofmyself » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:05 am

dutch wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:30 am
Of the 4 ideas I'd lean towards the historical western. But the 1830's were very early in westward expansion. So keep that in mind. I mean New York City has corruption in any decade you pick so you're not limited.
There are a couple of elements that I would like to include in this particular story that necessitate that timeframe. The story's ending would be around 1839/40 when they settle down in Idaho.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 pm

So you're really going back to the era of mountain men with their muzzle loading rifles and pistols. That could be cool. You don't see many pre cowboy westerns anymore. I'd enjoy that.

az89

Post by az89 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:47 pm

isekai i choose you

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:49 pm

Superhero and Xuanhuan appear as a recurrent theme in a lot of the comics on the Toomics website, and they can be made quite interesting, particularly if you throw a childhood sweetheart or Girl Next Door who suddenly becomes hot into the mix.

Shadowofmyself

Post by Shadowofmyself » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 am

I think I'm going to start with Western since that's the only one I truly have outlined completely out. The Xuanhuan will probably be second since it has the most content mapped out in my head. Unfortunately, I only have a vague idea of where I want to take it after the second arc. I'd like to avoid the rinse and repeat that plagues most Xuanhuan. My Superhero story only has one arc so far and my Isekai is only three chapters and a desire to create a story that lives up to potential of the idea.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Shadowofmyself wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 am
I think I'm going to start with Western
The important thing is to start, and then keep going: if only I could heed my own advice :oops: .

I have several story ideas in my head, but apart from a couple of short stories for competitions where I had a deadline to keep me focused, they have come to a standstill after a couple of chapters, because I can't decide which one is the best one to pursue.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm

The market is becoming super-saturated with games, many of them using the same formula. There are thousands of games and only a small number of good ones. If were going to develop a game I would want to make it the best one I've ever played. That would take some effort since I've played some games that took multiple developers years to complete.

I would say do what you're most passionate about since that's most likely to produce the best and most satisfying result.

You're also the least likely to get part-way through it and decide "Fuck this. It's too much work."

Shadowofmyself

Post by Shadowofmyself » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 pm

infiniteignorance wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm
The market is becoming super-saturated with games, many of them using the same formula. There are thousands of games and only a small number of good ones. If were going to develop a game I would want to make it the best one I've ever played. That would take some effort since I've played some games that took multiple developers years to complete.

I would say do what you're most passionate about since that's most likely to produce the best and most satisfying result.

You're also the least likely to get part-way through it and decide "Fuck this. It's too much work."
Stories, not games.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:36 am

Shadowofmyself wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 pm
Stories, not games.
I took "stories" to mean visual novels. No?