City of Broken Dreamers

Anything goes, but forum rules still apply. All unicorns will be shot on sight.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

City of Broken Dreamers

Post by JFR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:23 pm

A shout out to PhillyGames' new title just released, City of Broken Dreamers.

Some of you may remember Philly's first game, Depraved Awakening, which is a dark, film noir style detective story with great graphics and an engaging story. That story is complete and Philly is now out with the first episode of his new story, City of Broken Dreamers. CoBD is a cyber-punk thriller story set in a futuristic Los Angeles. The story is engaging, with characters who may or may not be friends or enemies, trustworthy or scheming. The rendered artwork is a step up from the brilliant work in his earlier game. Philly may be doing the best 3D CGI artwork found in indie games today. Many scenes are simply stunning. Note: the game does include some plot-driven violence.

CoBD is not out for free yet but for a few patronage dollars pledged you can download it today.

Recommended.

https://www.patreon.com/phillygames/overview

banner-cobd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

az89

Re: City of Broken Dreamers

Post by az89 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:21 pm

hey, got any links for games that have free download without needed to become patreon and pay?

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Many of the games linked in the "Other Games of the Same Type" thread below are free as are all games by Tora Productions - https://www.patreon.com/tora/overview .

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Edited to add the new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QlQQXpSvzM

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:46 pm

JFR wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:23 pm
CoBD is not out for free yet but for a few patronage dollars pledged you can download it today.

Recommended.

https://www.patreon.com/phillygames/overview

banner-cobd.jpg
I have downloaded the $1 patronage version and it looks promising. That's a lie: very promising, and likely to be a few twists and turns. Shades of Blade Runner, but not derivative.

Might stretch to the latest version once i have caught up with the backlog of creators that I am following.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:27 pm

I've played the most recent version of this game and I'm kind of digging the lab chick. I'm definitely curious to see where this goes.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm

infiniteignorance wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:27 pm
... I'm kind of digging the lab chick. ...
Katie aka Doc. My fav as well.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:04 pm

JFR wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm
infiniteignorance wrote:
Looks like she gets three votes then, although Victoria is not at all shabby. Ellen is also good, but not quite as good as the other two.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Tao Dude wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:04 pm
JFR wrote:
infiniteignorance wrote:
Looks like she gets three votes then, although Victoria is not at all shabby. Ellen is also good, but not quite as good as the other two.
Vic is meant to be almost irresistible. She is "made" that way. But there is a lot more there, under the surface, than her handlers know. I don't know how far along you are so won't spoil too much but there are others coming along that will be attention-getters as well. ;)

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:35 pm

JFR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm
Tao Dude wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:04 pm
JFR wrote:

Vic is meant to be almost irresistible. She is "made" that way. But there is a lot more there, under the surface, than her handlers know. I don't know how far along you are so won't spoil too much but there are others coming along that will be attention-getters as well. ;)
I've been to the party, that's it. This looks like being worth jacking up my patronage to Philly for a while: i dropped it down because i was supporting too many creators at too high a level, and i didn't enjoy Depraved Awakening that much.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Tao Dude wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:35 pm
... i didn't enjoy Depraved Awakening that much.
Well, CoBD is very different from DA but is still very much in the noir style. I think he is one of the better, more creative developers working right now but that dark, dystopian future setting may not be for everyone.

moskys
Lunch Patron

Post by moskys » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 pm

JFR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 pm
Tao Dude wrote:
Well, CoBD is very different from DA but is still very much in the noir style. I think he is one of the better, more creative developers working right now but that dark, dystopian future setting may not be for everyone.
I fully agree with you. Sadly I'm one of those who don't like that scenery. That aside, he is one of the best creators. Renders are nice, stories are complex and, last but not the least, music selection is great and adds to the experience, which is not quite common around there

moskys
Lunch Patron

Post by moskys » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 pm

moskys wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 pm
JFR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 pm
Tao Dude wrote:
I fully agree with you. Sadly I'm one of those who don't like that scenery. That aside, he is one of the best creators. Renders are nice, stories are complex and, last but not the least, music selection is great and adds to the experience, which is not quite common around there
A year and a half later, I must say that this is my favourite game nowadays. I learnt to love the scenery and the quality keeps improving. In fact, I find most sex scenes almost a filler, the game works perfectly fine without them. Great story, great visuals (some animations are insane) and great music

Cabin Fever

Post by Cabin Fever » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:04 pm

moskys wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 pm
A year and a half later, I must say that this is my favourite game nowadays. I learnt to love the scenery and the quality keeps improving. In fact, I find most sex scenes almost a filler, the game works perfectly fine without them. Great story, great visuals (some animations are insane) and great music
CoBD by Philly is definitely one of a very select few that is pulling off that "the story works even without the sex scenes" trick.

Another one is Leap of Faith by Drifty. The graphics might not be CoBD level but the story, and especially the music, is top notch.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 am

Cabin Fever wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:04 pm
CoBD by Philly is definitely one of a very select few that is pulling off that "the story works even without the sex scenes" trick.
Definitely a good game with sex scenes rather than a game that is only good because of the sex scenes. Shades of Bladerunner et sim, without being derivative.