Building a website?

Anything goes, but forum rules still apply. All unicorns will be shot on sight.
dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Building a website?

Post by dutch » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Just a bit of an odd question for you folks. If you were not a gifted code writer, read that as drag and drop pushing my outer limits. Is there a program out there you would use to build a website. NOT interested in free services that charge you for hosting and maint. My program that I've been using for almost 20 years has finally become unsupportable? Go figure? :o So I have to find a replacement, I'd rather buy one and own it then depend on other folks who will only let me down in the end.

Thought and suggestions?

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Re: Building a website?

Post by infiniteignorance » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:45 am

I think I need more information. What kind of website?

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 am

Oh it's for my small business. It doesn't require any store or sales. Just informational.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

I think most of the people most of the time would swear by WordPress. It's either free or cheap, depending on whether you purchase the domain, and it has a huge number of themes and drag and drop modules. I can recommend other software but most of it requires or at least suggests some knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, JS, PHP, etc.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:52 am

My hosting company recommended word press. So I got it on a trial and couldn't get it to even open. Customer support said they would help, after about an hour they said it was fixed. It wasn't. The next morning I got an e-mail from them telling me how glad they were they could help. Even though they hadn't. My old program was drop and drag to build the pages and just fill in a few boxes to get it hosted. I find most online customer support lack a little for effectiveness. That's why I'd rather control it myself. As it's my business and my living I'll try harder then an hourly support dude getting paid weather it works or not.

So basically something simple that I can work with.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 pm

I use Netobjects Fusion 2015.

You can set up a basic website from a template using just drag and drop, and when you gain a bit of confidence, you can add bits of code if you want.

Adobe have three web-related apps: Portfolio, Spark and Behance that are free if you take out a Creative Cloud subscription (I use Photoshop Creative Cloud). They claim to be easy to use, but I have not tried them.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:18 am

I'll check it out. Thanks