White Shark Down (?)

Anything goes, but forum rules still apply. All unicorns will be shot on sight.
moskys
Lunch Patron

White Shark Down (?)

Post by moskys » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 pm

In case you haven't noticed yet, our beloved Shark's Lagoon forum has been hacked and is currently in maintenance. Shark has a backup from May so according to his statement it seems all June's posts will be lost. :oops:

Let's hope it's just a temporary issue but it made me wonder about other 'generic' forums of its kind, appart from those game-based like this one. I mean, what if Shark can't (or doesn't want to) carry on his forum? Since the classic AIF Yahoo group is pretty dead and it's only about TAF/Blorb games, where could we find new projects and releases of adult-themed games? Where could we keep in contact with the community, artists and players? I actually don't know any other site of that kind. I guess it just would take some time to readapt ourselves to a new environment, but for now it sounds terrifying :(

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: White Shark Down (?)

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:33 pm

All sharkies are welcome here. :P

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:57 pm

The Lagoon is back up and running but missing all posts from June. Shark had to restore from a back-up made at the end of May. The means there are only a few "new" posts made since the site went back up. There seems to be very little traffic so far, probably because users don't know it is back.

Based on short notes from Shark, it seems it was really bunged up. He got valuable help in sorting it out and getting it back in operation from "our own" Kexter. Good job. Kexter! :!:

Anyway, go post something. Let Shark know we all appreciate his efforts and what he makes available to the gaming community.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:04 pm

JFR wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:57 pm
The Lagoon is back up and running but missing all posts from June.

Go post something. Let Shark know we all appreciate his efforts and what he makes available to the gaming community.
I've just been over there to stir the pot and let Shark know his friends appreciate his efforts. I thought the maintenance message was genuine until I read this thread.

Best,
Tao.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:31 pm

I is rather sad to see the ghost town The Lagoon has become since the hack attack. There have been fewer than a dozen posts in the last week. You can hear the crickets chirping.

Hopefully the word will get out and posting will pick up again. After all his hard work to repair the damage, I'd hate to see Shark give up for lack of traffic.

moskys
Lunch Patron

Post by moskys » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:30 pm

I guess it just needs the boost that only a big, anticipated game release can give. Not pointing at anyone :roll: :lol:

Regardie

Post by Regardie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I have been very busy in RL and I might have missed Lagoon going down and coming back up. I will go over there later and post in some of the threads I follow to get them closer to being up to date.

On to the other issue at hand, if Shark decides this is too much time to keep up and pulls the plug, where do we go for discussions of our favorite games?

I have found and joined the following two forums for just that purpose.

https://legendofkrystal.com/forum/index.php?cache=1

I have found a great deal of discussion goes on in the non-flash projects area on various RPG Maker and RenPY games.

https://www.fenoxo.com

Fenoxo's blog has a forum section to deal with the games Trials in Tainted Space and Corruption of Champions that he develops. There is also a general adult games section and a subsection in adult games called Showcases where creators can post works in progress.

Both those sites seem to generate a fair amount of traffic, and though there is some overlap, most activity of a game seems to settle on one our the other.

Niauropsaka

Post by Niauropsaka » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:34 am

I notice that the lagoon doesn't have HTTPS. That's worrying.

benedict

Post by benedict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 am

There's too much censorship on Shark's Lagoon anyway. I've given up on posting there after I got some posts of mine edited by moderators.

I've moved to https://f95zone.com/ . There's plenty of healthy discussion there.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 am

I understand both of the above points and don't disagree.

The fact is, though, that The Lagoon is where Wolfschadowe got started in game development on BEW and where he announces and supports the game - other than this forum, of course. It is also where Tora Productions (Tlaero and Mortze) do much of their public interaction for their games. Those are the two major games/developers I support so I still spend a fair amount of time there. I completely understand why others might not.
Last edited by JFR on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am

benedict wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 am
I've moved to https://f95zone.com/ . There's plenty of healthy discussion there.
I looked around there and agree they have a lot of content.

Crane
Not-so-Newbie

Post by Crane » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 am

Yep, me too find lack of https pretty surprising. Personally T&M (and iksanabot in those very rare occasions he posts) are the only reason that keeps me in that place.