Episode 7 start - hints and suggestions

You know...hints...and tips. No Walkthroughs or direct answers are permitted here. Wolfschadowe and the moderators will be merciless on this topic to prevent outright spoilers to protect those just looking for tips.
gamehelp

Re: Episode 7 start - hints and suggestions

Post by gamehelp » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:25 am

PM duly sent :-) . . .

Master

Post by Master » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:37 am

I am unable to get to the taxi scene with both girls natilie and azumi any hints how to do that?

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:00 am

Master wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:37 am
I am unable to get to the taxi scene with both girls natilie and azumi any hints how to do that?
Did you read this entire thread? There are a lot of hints and even some direct answers about this.
spoiler: show

gamiller

Post by gamiller » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:07 am

gamiller wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:07 am
JFR wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 pm
philly4life wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:55 pm
Trying to figure out how to get the "3 pillow" ending, what are the key steps in the cab/apartment that lead to it?
Glad you are enjoying the game. :)

That particular ending requires getting both girls "interested." It is pretty simple to get one or the other but tricky to do both.
I must be really dense but no matter what I do I can not get near those point totals and at the apartment after breakfast they leave and my point totals are only 11 and 13
how do you get higher
I have tried many possibilities and find myself stumbling over myself so I am attempting to do it in sections the best I have been able to get leaving the club is 11 points for nat and az. is that a good benchmark to work from for the other sections.
I have had some successes at the apartment but can not seem to get the nat angry material.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 am

My advice. Don't look at the points.

I'm thinking about adding some kind of toggle so that a player can toggle the point's off and on. Maybe I'll mention that to Kexter (Psst... Hey Kexter...)

BEW was designed to be played without displaying the points. It was designed to be played by studying the text and the images and trying to figure out why the women are responding the way that they are responding. When I see people start focusing on points and getting frustrated from lack of progress, the best advice that I want to tell them is to just stop looking at the points and start looking at the women.

I think a lot of people don't understand how much time I put into thinking and even agonizing over the reactions that the women have and the choices that are made. For every response that a woman gives to Brad, I have a deep understanding of why they are responding in that way, at that moment. When there are various responses available, I can explain, based on their character, why they are responding that way. If I can't explain it, I don't put it in the game. Is there an empty glass on the counter at the bar? I can explain why it's there. Is there a car on the street? I can explain why it's there. There's a reason for everything.

Everything.

Maybe take this as an example about the points. Think of the points as gallons of gas you put in the car. (Or liters for most of you.)

If I put 10 gallons of gas in the car, how far will it go before running out of fuel?
If it's a ferrari?
If it's a prius?
How about if the car is driven hard?
How about if the car is driven gently?
How about if the car is driven hard uphill the whole time?
Downhill?
Cruising on the highway?
Stop and go in the city?

In other words, 10 gallons of gas has completely different meanings and ultimately, by itself, is a useless figure.
The relationship points are the same way. They have some meaning in the game, just as fuel has meaning in a car. But the meaning is so complex with so many additional variables, that taken by itself, it's somewhat meaningless.

But if you have your car, that you are familiar with, along with your driving style, and your local terrain, then you probably know how far you can go on 10 gallons of gas.

Each woman is their own car, with their own driving style, and their own terrain, and their own traffic patterns. Learn those first, and then the relationship points will have more meaning. The way you learn about the women is to play the game. ALL of it. Episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. That's why I packages all episodes together. Even episode 3 has hints that will help you with Episode 7. Episode 1, 2, & 5 have hints that will help you in Episode 8. Episode 7 has hints that will help with Episodes 2 and 4. And etcetera. Now that you have played Episode 7, go back and play some other content where Azumi and Natalie are both involved from earlier episodes and see if your understanding changes. As you learn more about the women in each Episode, you may find new insights in earlier episodes.

This is how I designed BEW to be played, for better or worse.

Before I step off my soapbox, I just want to remind everyone, this is not a virtual date game. It's not a meet and fuck game. It's an interactive fictional adventure game. Adult Interactive Fiction. It's a story.

Just because I designed it that way, that doesn't mean you have to play it that way. Play it however you like, of course. But I think many of you might be surprised if you take a few steps back from the points, and start paying attention to the stories in the game.

There are stories in the text.
There are stories in the pictures.
There are stories inside the stories.

Slowing down and savoring the game may just reveal a whole new world.

Or..maybe not. It's up to all of you. :)

I'm getting off my soapbox and heading back for the schadowes now.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:50 am

If the women are cars I want to take Faith for a test drive. :lol:

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 am

I am probably going to get a "pointed" PM here but am about to launch into a spoiler that will illustrate some of what Wolf said above about links and connections within the story lines.

Warning! The text below contains at least a couple of serious spoilers. Please do not open if you don't want to see that sort of thing. You should also probably not open it if you haven't pretty much completed all or most endings of the apartment scene.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm

That's why i love this game and why it frustrates me so much. If it was just about the sexy girls, i would have stopped playing ages ago.

Everyone has buttons that will make them react in a certain way, and sometimes you touch one without knowing it was even there, and before you know it, you are in an unrecoverable situation. Most other games don't do that, and most other games only have one or two, sometimes three targets, but with much less complex characterisations. To run with eight complex characters is a tour de force (alright, we haven't met them all yet, but even so).

I could witter on, but I'll leave it there for this thread.

moskys
Lunch Patron

Post by moskys » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 am

BEW was designed to be played without displaying the points.
Actually the instructions (RTFM!) still say that
Difficulty and Value Display: Easy shows Relationship status. Medium shows Reputation. Hard only shows the menu page graphic.
I remember that including the score in Hard mode was a petition from some players after Ep3 or something like that. It was useful back then, when there was only a couple of active paths with Emily/Faith and Natalie: people wanted to reach the erotic content available at that point and looking at the score we could know whether we were on the right track or not. But that's not the case anymore. Even if we know we shouldn't look at points, I think we still look at points when chosing an option instead of another.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:04 pm

gamiller wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:07 am
I have had some successes at the apartment but can not seem to get the nat angry material.
We got sidetracked in the "points" discussion and I missed this. ;)

p22

Post by p22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am

Personally, I have enjoyed this game even more with debugger enabled, then with default settings, where hotspots, in game checks and flags are hidden.

Why?
Because, I like gameplay feedback. Like Taletalle adventure games ("he may remember this"), I like being notified when some choice is highly impactful, instead superficial small talk.

Also like go back button from debugger, so I do not need to auto save every couple of choices to try out different options.

In the same way, I like RPGs of old, there you see skill check you can not make due to low skill, as well as how much you missing to get successful check.

Due to all of this, I very much like visible reputation points, but I would like even more visibility from the game (reputation checks, marking dialogue with major branching, visible past decision with the character that can affect future relations, no hidden hotspots, explicit reasons why some choice lead to some consequence if some check was involved, etc...)

On the other hand, early episodes in this game relied heavily on reputation points in other to pass elite checks, unlike later episodes. This led to making players think more on how to get more reputation instead of exploring all dialogue choices and where they lead. Ep7 is much less about reputation and more about taking proper choices at proper time.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:41 pm

p22 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am
I very much like visible reputation points, but I would like even more visibility from the game (reputation checks, marking dialogue with major branching, visible past decision with the character that can affect future relations, no hidden hotspots, explicit reasons why some choice lead to some consequence if some check was involved, etc...)
What you describe would amount to a simple road-map with way-points to tick off, as opposed to the intellectual challenge of getting inside the creator's head and their ideas of NPC characteristics, and as such would completely kill this game for me.

p22

Post by p22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Obfuscating things just makes game require too many replays. I prefer less replays, each with significant content, then replaying same thing a dozen of times unsuccessfully trying to figure out what was intention of author.

But it is a personal preference... For me intellectual challenge is to deobfuscate game scripts and to check what each of the checks does and then to figure out how to get to every part of the game with that knowledge known to me. It's more of the "tester" perspective then player perspective.

Ep7 was great improvement for me, since it relies much less of elite checks and more on previous choices (which mostly make sense).

Now, truth to be told, if game did not use any kind of reputation system, but all choices were based on consequences of previous choices, I would probably always play game naturally. But when you add reputation checks in the mix, things get way too obfuscated for my tastes. You can easily miss some check by couple of points never figuring that there was an alternate response at that place, since you never get feedback that you failed reputation check.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Tao Dude wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:41 pm
p22 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am
I very much like visible reputation points, but I would like even more visibility from the game (reputation checks, marking dialogue with major branching, visible past decision with the character that can affect future relations, no hidden hotspots, explicit reasons why some choice lead to some consequence if some check was involved, etc...)
What you describe would amount to a simple road-map with way-points to tick off, as opposed to the intellectual challenge of getting inside the creator's head and their ideas of NPC characteristics, and as such would completely kill this game for me.
This is a great example of how everyone enjoys things differently. I always say to play the game in the way that's fun for you and here are two examples of two very different ways to play. I will guarantee that Debug mode doesn't make the game easier, just different. Sure, you can optionally see additional hidden information, but it's still a guess to know what it means for the future. Some people will see all that information and run screaming for the hills. Others will see it as a fun challenge to decode and chart.
p22 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 pm
Ep7 was great improvement for me, since it relies much less of elite checks and more on previous choices (which mostly make sense).
In the early game, there wasn't much history of choices to branch, so relationship and reputation were more important in branching out stories. As the game continues, choices will be more important than relationship, but relationship can't go away without either making the game 10 times more complicated than it already is, or much shallower than it is. Think of the relationship score as tracking how well the player understands the woman and consolidating all those small choices together. That way both the small decisions, and the major decisions matter. Without relationship, only the major decisions would matter, and I feel the game would suffer.
p22 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 pm
since you never get feedback that you failed reputation check.
Great observation. I didn't even realize that myself, but you are right, for the most part. I carefully made sure that there's feedback when doing something that lowered the relationship, (a frown, textual hint, etc..) and there's usually an indicator that a relationship check was passed, such as reputation increasing or an alternate branch opening up. But often there is no clear indication that a relationship check was failed. I'm going to need to think about this. :)

Brocho

Post by Brocho » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:42 pm

JFR wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 am
I'm not sure whether this needs a spoiler, but I'll play it safe.