BEW Work Slowdown and Episode 7 Delay

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

BEW Work Slowdown and Episode 7 Delay

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:08 pm

I know that this announcement will disappoint many of you, and even anger some, and I apologize for that. I find that I need to temporarily stop my major development work for BEW. Maybe that’s not quite right, it’s more like a development slowdown. This also means that Episode 7 will not be arriving until January or February. For those that have followed over the last few months, you are aware of the passing of my Father-in-law. As the holidays approach for Thanksgiving and Christmas, my wife and her family are facing the first holidays without him and it’s not going well,as he was the central figure for these holidays. Usually he was the "biggest kid in the room". This is causing me to focus more of my time on family taking from my hobby of developing BEW. At the same time, the Alphabet Soup of agencies that I support in my real job seem to have all suddenly decided to spend their entire remaining sums of annual budgets at the same time. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the results of the U.S. Election or not, but I’ll tell you that I’ve never seen Govt. workers move so quickly to sign contracts and spend money in my career.

For the last few weeks as I pushed hard to complete Episode 7 and get it out. When I took a look at the work I had done, I realized that it was crap. I don’t mean little bunny rabbit turds, but rather full-on, Brontosaurus shit. The kind that will bury a house. I will not serve out huge stinking steamy piles of brontosaurus shit, so I basically scrapped most of that work. I find that there is currently a bit too much stress and urgency in my life to provide good creative focus on BEW. For that reason, I’m suspending most of my creative work on BEW until after the holidays. It's difficult for me to write this, and even more difficult to admit that I'm overwhelmed by what's going on in my personal life right now.

It’s not all doom and gloom though. This doesn’t mean that I’m going to disappear. I’ll still be active on the forums, and I’ll be working through issues identified on the bug tracker as I find time, as well as providing work to Artists. Some good news on that, we have a new artist for BEW! MiK will be joining the team as an artist! I’ll keep him busy on that as well, over the next few months if he’s available. Additionally a second artist is through phase one of the application process and I’m preparing content for phase two. It’s possible that he could join Mik within the next few weeks. New artists’ means more content for releases since the artwork is the biggest bottleneck. It’s also the one thing that I can’t do for the game from a motel room when I’m travelling for work. In fact, if we had a writer on staff, development would probably continue through my personal work reduction over the next two months since I have plenty to keep them busy.

Also on the bright side, when Episode 7 does release, it will be much larger than I initially estimated. I thought it would come around 200 pages, but it will actually be closer to 500. I truly feel bad about the delay though, and the disappointment that many may be feeling. At the end of the day, this is my hobby, and sometimes, work and family take priority. I would like to assure everyone that this is only temporary and I am still excited to get the content out to you all once it’s ready.

I’m not making promises here, but just as a reminder, the size of an episode is primarily determined by what is ready. There are various logical stopping points in the game, such as when a scene ends, and once content is ready up to one of those stopping points, that content goes into the Episode. The more people that help out with the game, such as Mik and hopefully the other applying artist, then the more content gets developed, and the larger the episodes, meaning the game gets completed and delivered faster. A huge thank you goes out to everyone that helps out with the game! If there is anyone out there who has been thinking of applying, especially as a writer, then now is a great time!

palinathas
BEW Tester

Re: BEW Work Slowdown and Episode 7 Delay

Post by palinathas » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:19 pm

I am not angry. I'd rather have things right than fast. (I am well aware of the "programmer's triangle"). Take care of your family, do your "day job", and work on this as you can!

Gary1219
Not-so-Newbie

Post by Gary1219 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 am

Family comes first.
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. -- Sgt. Murphy

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:56 am

Life happens. We can wait.

moskys
Lunch Patron

Post by moskys » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:46 am

Well, real life matters (and sometimes sucks). Just be where you're really needed and let's hope things get better soon

BEW - Artist

Post by Avatar1912 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:11 pm

I think everyone understands that Family and work comes first. You did great so fare and as soon as everything goes it´s normal way and you have the time we will see a great episode 7
Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
(Albert Einstein)

Tal3WakkR

Post by Tal3WakkR » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:10 am

Hate to hear about Episode 7, but I can understand the delays. My dad passed last December, and we have had to go through all the firsts. First Father's Day, first Fourth of July, mom going through the first Wedding Anniversary without him. Thanksgiving and Christmas was his two favorite holiday's. Not to mention, his birthday is right after Christmas. My prayers and condolences goes to you and your family.

OpineegChipp
Lunch Patron

Post by OpineegChipp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:27 am

First of all, thank you for all the great work you have done so far. Thank you for trying to advance the episode despite of personal hardships. Thank you for keeping everyone informed on progress and delays. Personally, I'm not angry nor disappointed. Maybe just a little anxious to "turn the next page", but all in good time. Please take care of yourself and your family first. Best wishes through the holidays.

AL1EKS2ANDAR

Post by AL1EKS2ANDAR » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:25 pm

Just take your time, we can wait.

Lerwannsboy

Post by Lerwannsboy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Please do not put us your fans ahead of your family. I am sure we all sympathise with you and expect you to put your family first,
we can wait. Since you are not doing this for financial gain no one can expect you to focus on the next episode first.
while I am busy here may I wish you and your family a blessed and peaceful Christmas and all the best for the New Year.
Hopefully we will play the next episode in the new year, until then we are not going to demand any more from you.

xsandman78

Post by xsandman78 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Being honest there's a sense of disappointment at the news of a major delay because i've been anticipating new content. That said I was drawn to the game my the great quality and the last thing I want is brontasaurus dung content. Equally I can fully accept that family comes first. So all in all I'm perfectly willing to be patient and keep feverishly anticipating where the story is going to go.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote: ... huge stinking steamy piles of brontosaurus shit ...
I am sooo stealing this. 8-)

TDB

Post by TDB » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:48 pm

I have been following this forum for a year now, decided to finally join the community because i wanted to thank u for all the effort u and the rest off the crew already made in this game!
I look forward to see the next episode when i comes out.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:24 pm

TDB wrote:I have been following this forum for a year now, decided to finally join the community ...
Welcome to the conversation. This discussion forum keeps us interested and involved while we wait. ;)

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:15 pm

TDB wrote:I have been following this forum for a year now, decided to finally join the community because i wanted to thank u for all the effort u and the rest off the crew already made in this game!
Hey! Thanks for playing and thanks for joining in the conversation!