Predictions about the story and thoughts on bonus

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Re: Predictions about the story and thoughts on bonus

Post by ut1stgear » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:56 am

ExLibris wrote:
ut1stgear wrote:Edit: [spoiler]Didn't think of them as female but as a male when I first looked at it. Name could be either gender.[/spoiler]
L is referred to as female once during the bonus scene, but if you miss that reference there's no real evidence either way.

However, if you want confirmation...
[spoiler]On Easy difficulty the score line gives you the first initial of all the romanceable characters. And of course, they're all named internally.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Found it. Was right there but easy to miss. Once I found it felt really stupid. lol[/spoiler]

ExLibris
Master Tester / Moderator

Post by ExLibris » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:45 am

Wolfschadowe wrote:There's also a concept of "People don't see what they don't expect." going on here, as demonstrated in these two videos. The first one is pretty dry, but the second is kind of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrrVozZR2c

[spoiler]Additionally, in today's world, where people are cosplaying, goth folks are having their incisors lengthened by cooperative dentists, how many would think twice at catching a glimpse of her ears, especially in her goth style dressing habit?[/spoiler]
The thing is, both of those videos work because the viewer is encouraged to concentrate on something else. Sere doesn't have that advantage if someone is talking to her, for example, or there's a male in the vicinity who finds her attractive.

[spoiler]While body modification is a possible excuse, is it really so common in this world that it wouldn't elicit remark? Also, what about elves who don't dress like Sere? And what did they do before body modification was a 'thing'? My guess would be that for most of recorded history they've kept themselves separate from normal humans.[/spoiler]

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:13 am

ExLibris wrote:The thing is, both of those videos work because the viewer is encouraged to concentrate on something else. Sere doesn't have that advantage if someone is talking to her, for example, or there's a male in the vicinity who finds her attractive.

[spoiler]While body modification is a possible excuse, is it really so common in this world that it wouldn't elicit remark? Also, what about elves who don't dress like Sere? And what did they do before body modification was a 'thing'? My guess would be that for most of recorded history they've kept themselves separate from normal humans.[/spoiler]
That's true, but the videos are an example of a common occurrence where people simply don't see what they don't expect, or have selective blindness. Anyone who has looked for their keys or other object for a time and found them in an obvious, in plain site location where they were overlooked a few times can understand.

[spoiler]However, that is not the only aspect of Sere staying under the radar. Also note that from most angles her hair hides her ears, so there would only be short glimpses of them from time to time. Also consider her mode of dress as a form of deterrent and/or distraction, along with the general discomfort that others feel around her. All of these together will combine to make it unlikely for her ears to be noticed by a majority of people.

It is also correct to assume that a majority of elves live separate, and while there are a significant number of them worldwide, that still only amounts to a few thousand worldwide.[/spoiler]

ExLibris

Post by ExLibris » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:22 am

Wolfschadowe wrote:That's true, but the videos are an example of a common occurrence where people simply don't see what they don't expect, or have selective blindness. Anyone who has looked for their keys or other object for a time and found them in an obvious, in plain site location where they were overlooked a few times can understand.
Yes, but my point was that there would be situations where that wouldn't be applicable and talking to people is one of them. It's also a dangerous thing to solely rely on. Hence, my supposition that Sere (and others of her kind) avoided interacting with people whenever possible.

[spoiler]
Wolfschadowe wrote:However, that is not the only aspect of Sere staying under the radar.
Does she stay under the radar? She dresses quite distinctively (unless Boise has a large goth subculture that we've not seen, the number of people walking around in daylight fully gothed up must be quite low). Combined with the discomfort she causes in those around her, it makes her quite memorable. You probably wouldn't interact with her for any longer than necessary, but you'd remember her. If there are any human (or non-human) groups that are aware of the existence of elves, they would be able to identify her pretty much immediately.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Wolfschadowe wrote:All of these together will combine to make it unlikely for her ears to be noticed by a majority of people.
You're talking about Sere specifically. What about other elves? Is Sere the only elf who visits the outside world? Presumably they could have groups of humans working for them, but inevitably some of those humans would learn who they were working for.[/spoiler]

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 am

ExLibris wrote:Yes, but my point was that there would be situations where that wouldn't be applicable and talking to people is one of them. It's also a dangerous thing to solely rely on. Hence, my supposition that Sere (and others of her kind) avoided interacting with people whenever possible.
That's true. I'm mainly talking about glimpses and casual glances in passing. More in spoiler.
ExLibris wrote:[spoiler]Does she stay under the radar? She dresses quite distinctively (unless Boise has a large goth subculture that we've not seen, the number of people walking around in daylight fully gothed up must be quite low). Combined with the discomfort she causes in those around her, it makes her quite memorable. You probably wouldn't interact with her for any longer than necessary, but you'd remember her. If there are any human (or non-human) groups that are aware of the existence of elves, they would be able to identify her pretty much immediately.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I mean under the radar as an elf. Kind of a bad choice of words on my part. In some ways, the goth getup is a distraction, although we'll learn more about her attire in Season 2. Generally, the first impression is something akin to "Ugh, another one of those goth wacko's" and so the focus is now on the goth aspect, and the ears go unnoticed if seen at all. Even if they are seen, once the goth aspect is established it turns the mindset away from questioning it too much. Of course, it's not a universal protection. The main protection for Sere and other elves is the hair covering the ears. For example, in all the images of Jasmine (except the one with her hair pulled back into a tail) I doubt that there's any definitive view of her ears that could signal one way or another that she's elf or human.

As for other people noticing her that are already in the know, she doesn't really care. :)[/spoiler]

ExLibris

Post by ExLibris » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:37 am

[spoiler]
Wolfschadowe wrote:Generally, the first impression is something akin to "Ugh, another one of those goth wacko's" and so the focus is now on the goth aspect, and the ears go unnoticed if seen at all. Even if they are seen, once the goth aspect is established it turns the mindset away from questioning it too much.
As a (mostly former) goth, I have to say that Sere looks more like someone who just dresses than black. She lacks most of the signs that would make her goth status 'obvious'. I guess when you're her age it's hard staying on top of human fashions.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Wolfschadowe wrote:I doubt that there's any definitive view of her ears that could signal one way or another that she's elf or human.
Actually, you do get a fairly good look at her ears in thoffice007.jpg. It's front on, so you can't be certain of shape, but they're not noticeably elongated (unlike Sere's). Also, Jasmine clearly has earlobes, which elves don't in some settings (Tolkien is silent on the matter, indeed it's unclear if he intended his elves to have pointed ears or not). Finally, she wears over-sized earrings, which would be an odd choice for someone trying to distract attention away from their ears.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Wolfschadowe wrote:The main protection for Sere and other elves is the hair covering the ears.
If that's the case, it's not very effective protection because Sere's ears are clearly visible during the introduction. I agree that 99 times out of 100 it would go unnoticed, but it still seems like quite a risk to me.[/spoiler]

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:32 pm

[spoiler]
ExLibris wrote:As a (mostly former) goth, I have to say that Sere looks more like someone who just dresses than black. She lacks most of the signs that would make her goth status 'obvious'. I guess when you're her age it's hard staying on top of human fashions.
True. And obviously Sere isn't totally "gothed" out. There are various reasons for her attire, the most important of which is not related to hiding or costuming (revealed in season 2). She just uses modern stereotyping to her benefit by evaluating how she is categorized where applicable. It's valuable information to Sere to know if she's being viewed as a Goth, someone trying to be intimidating by wearing black, a wannabe cool person, etc...
ExLibris wrote:Actually, you do get a fairly good look at her ears in thoffice007.jpg. It's front on, so you can't be certain of shape, but they're not noticeably elongated (unlike Sere's). Also, Jasmine clearly has earlobes, which elves don't in some settings (Tolkien is silent on the matter, indeed it's unclear if he intended his elves to have pointed ears or not). Finally, she wears over-sized earrings, which would be an odd choice for someone trying to distract attention away from their ears.
I get what you are saying about Jasmine, although she has no need to conceal anything also. There are various techniques and methods available, from wearing hats that conceal the ears in proper environments, taping the tops of the ears down so that they don't stick out of hair, etc...

These Elves are inspired by Tolkiens elves, but not intended to actually be them, so liberties are taken to tune the Elven mythology to this universe, where elven ear shape is more "Lord of the Rings" movie / "Start Trek Vulcan" shaped and less, say, "World of Warcraft" shaped.
ExLibris wrote:If that's the case, it's not very effective protection because Sere's ears are clearly visible during the introduction. I agree that 99 times out of 100 it would go unnoticed, but it still seems like quite a risk to me.
True, but I was also trying to make sure that they were subtly visible. Plausible deniability is another protection, plus, like you mentioned, the fact that a vast majority of them live in a single, protected location. Finally, if a threat does begin to develop, there are methods in place to take care of that threat, but more discussion on that would need to take place in the dinner/awesome forums.[/spoiler]

Gary1219
Not-so-Newbie

Post by Gary1219 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:18 pm

In our world, it is one thing to say you saw a UFO, it is quite another thing to talk about anal probes. Even if a person is abducted, the smartest thing to do would be to never mention it to anyone. The best you could hope for by talking about it is that people start thinking of you as a bit eccentric.

When it comes to Serentia's ears, even though it is true, it would take an absolute lunatic to run around screaming "ELF!". Aliens are one thing, at least the concept is viewed as possible, but elves? "You saw an Elf? Just how many times did the doctor drop you on your head when you were delivered?" Fear of ridicule is a powerful element of Serenthia's disguise. Azumi has a similar protection if Brad ever remembers the details of either private dance (which I suspect he will in the next few days).

As I understand it, the Corruption Paths are designed to lead a love interest in a direction they would never consider on their own. I can see Emily on such a path becoming very Faith like. My brain just locks up when I try to imagine what Faith's corruption path is, because there is no direction I can see that she wouldn't be willing to explore (except maybe entering a convent and taking vows). I can almost see a monogamist relationship with Brad as Azumi's corruption path.

I am almost certain that Natalie knows exactly what Azumi is. Assuming Azumi used her Jedi mind trick on her to wipe her memory, after a couple of years living together, she would have discovered the truth and been mind wiped so many times that her brain would have been fried extra crispy by now.

Random thought: Azumi is the cause of Emily's and Eddie's breakup. Eddie is one of Azumi's regulars. She caused Eddie to go off on Emily knowing Emily would seek out Brad for comfort. This would free up Natalie and give Azumi another chance at her. And some people think Jasmine is devious. :P

I have no idea what is in Jasmine's future but I am 100% certain that Jasmine's project is going to play a pivotal role in the Thompson Tower investigation. I expect Jasmine will be unleashing her program no later than Monday morning.

While there are quite a few non-one-on-one combinations possible, it is probably best that most of them be limited to three-ways with only a single four-way. Anything more than that would probably result in death by snusnu for Brad. And that may well be the result with the four-way considering how healthy these women appear to be.
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. -- Sgt. Murphy

ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Post by ut1stgear » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Interesting thoughts. Only problem I see with your random thought is that Azumi hasn't worked there long enough to develop regulars and as was discussed earlier doesn't even know Brad prior to this. snusnu is something I wasn't at all familiar with at all. Not so sure it would really be such a pleasant way to go now. The wonder of the internet. Long live Brad. ;)

Gary1219
Not-so-Newbie

Post by Gary1219 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Considering what her capabilities appear to be, she could develop a following in one night with any unclaimed patrons, but a regular would not have to have been acquired at Manny's G Spot as they could have followed her from her old club. As for not knowing Brad, she has met him before Wednesday night, but Natalie has been talking to her about him. Based on what Azumi says to Brad, Natalie pretty much has done a core dump on Brad with her so she would know almost as much as Natalie.

Either way, it was just a random thought and not a statement about what I think the actually story is. If Azumi were to decide to take Brad out of the picture, she would probably favor a more direct approach. Assuming the ability to influence another person's actions with a third party, like my random thought, she would more likely influence Brad to screw up with Natalie.

The most likely scenario is just as Azumi said to Brad. that if she can't have Natalie, she still wants her to be happy and maybe Brad can do that (and he damned well better make her happy).

This does bring up some interesting possibilities. How does Natalie react to Brad showing up (when he shows up) Thursday night with Faith or Emily and Faith. And if Natalie reacts negatively, how will Azumi react?

There is another thing I am curious about. So far we have been introduced to what appears to be two varieties of Fey Folk. I find it hard to believe there are only vampires and elves in this universe. Brad (and we) may only wind up seeing these two species in the game and we will have to read the books when they come out to see more, but then again, we may see more types in this game. The question is, just how many of them has Brad met without realizing it. If there are more, they can't all have pointy ears and/or pointy teeth, so some may be very inconspicuous.
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. -- Sgt. Murphy

d22249
Insane Patron!

Post by d22249 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:52 pm

Gary1219 wrote:Random thought: Azumi is the cause of Emily's and Eddie's breakup. Eddie is one of Azumi's regulars. She caused Eddie to go off on Emily knowing Emily would seek out Brad for comfort. This would free up Natalie and give Azumi another chance at her.
ut1stgear wrote:Interesting thoughts. Only problem I see with your random thought is that Azumi hasn't worked there long enough to develop regulars and as was discussed earlier doesn't even know Brad prior to this.
Azumi hasn't worked at Manny's for very long, but she worked as a stripper. Eddie may have been a regular at her old place.

Stalking is a major theme in this game. Maybe Azumi stalked Natalie and found out she was getting close to Brad. Stalks Brad and see's Emily. Stalks Emily and see's Eddie (her meat puppet) and bam Eddie breaks up with Emily who goes to Brad who then quits seeing Natalie. I believe that that is the canon path. :D

Edit-This theory got blown out of the water when I remembered Azumi saying "Of all the guys..." when Natalie was yelling at her for poaching Brad. Oh well...

d22249
Insane Patron!

Post by d22249 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:23 am

Gary1219 wrote:This does bring up some interesting possibilities. How does Natalie react to Brad showing up (when he shows up) Thursday night with Faith or Emily and Faith. And if Natalie reacts negatively, how will Azumi react?
Excellent question. Can't wait to find out! Still, Natalie might react the same way as she does when Brad talks about Serenthia. I think it is Brad "saving" her from the other strip club patron that caused Natalie to take Brad all the way out of the "strip club regular" zone and put him into the "maybe I'll date him" zone. And it took a lot of work on Brads part even then. The most likely ending on the Wednesday strip club path is Brad not taking Natalie to breakfast. So, with that in mind, if Brad doesn't go to the Manny's on Wednesday, he stays safely in Natalie's "regular" box and while she may feel mild disappointment I don't think it would be enough to raise Azumi's ire, particularly if it gets Brad out of the picture.

Gary1219 wrote:There is another thing I am curious about. So far we have been introduced to what appears to be two varieties of Fey Folk. I find it hard to believe there are only vampires and elves in this universe. Brad (and we) may only wind up seeing these two species in the game and we will have to read the books when they come out to see more, but then again, we may see more types in this game. The question is, just how many of them has Brad met without realizing it. If there are more, they can't all have pointy ears and/or pointy teeth, so some may be very inconspicuous.
I can tell you this, there WILL NOT be unicorns! Wolfschadowe is very touchy about that... ;)

Gary1219
Not-so-Newbie

Post by Gary1219 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:26 am

Even if there are unicorns, nobody will be riding them. I haven't seen anything so far even remotely resembling a virgin. :P

{edit}
Well, maybe El Lardo at Manny's but I don't expect to see him again.

ut1stgear
Dinner Patron

Post by ut1stgear » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:03 am

Gary1219 wrote:Even if there are unicorns, nobody will be riding them. I haven't seen anything so far even remotely resembling a virgin. :P

{edit}
Well, maybe El Lardo at Manny's but I don't expect to see him again.
Especially if Azumi hunted him down after the incident. He would be toast if she turns one of those looks on him (literally).

d22249
Insane Patron!

Post by d22249 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:13 pm

ut1stgear wrote:Especially if Azumi hunted him down after the incident. He would be toast if she turns one of those looks on him (literally).
My assumption is that you mean that Azumi kills him. I'm not convinced that she is a killer (ignore any prior post where I said she is or might be, I've changed my mind). She gets angry and acts on that anger so it's reasonable to assume that she goes after El Lardo (who Wolfschadowe may have assigned a name to). But I don't think she is a casual killer. Scare the shit out of El Lardo, sure. Drink his blood? No way, she's got standards. Nothing in El Lardo's blood is likely to have any nutritional value.

It's the way she treats Natalie that makes me thinks that she's goodish and would have an aversion to casual killing.