Wolf Appreciation

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
hojohn

Wolf Appreciation

Post by hojohn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Certainly, everyone here appreciates the thought and artistry that have gone into the first 7 episodes. However on a recent playthrough, I saw a design choice where I think Wolf is skillfully playing to his audience. Probably others have noticed additional game artistry, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

By way of background, when given the chance to vote, there seemed to be overwhelming interest in having Azumi and Jasmine become romanceable, even though that was apparently not in the original game design. Hence, a lot of redesign to make sure the story plays out in a meaningful way, and hopefully get some more Jasmine in episodes 8 or 9. My suspicion is that Wolf recognized in this vote that fans of BEW probably want everyone, or at least every girl ( sorry, Ben), to be romanceable.

It seems that a bit of genius in game design is that by including an opportunity to get with Candy, even on a one-time basis, it probably helps dampen any outcry to include her as a romanceable character. If Wolf doesn't employ tactics like this, it's more likely that there will be a continuous clamor for more romantic options, because all of the characters are interesting and attractive. It may not even take that much for this crowd, because I think I recall a comment expressing interest in the second waitress at Faith's bar. Now, that's a thought.....

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Re: Wolf Appreciation

Post by JFR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:27 pm

hojohn wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm
... I think I recall a comment expressing interest in the second waitress at Faith's bar. Now, that's a thought.....
Her name is Samantha and she is my favorite non-romance-able character. Even so, it is not likely to happen. She doesn't like Brad at all. That does, however, give me a nice segue for the next teaser so check that thread. ;)

I am sure Wolfschadowe will come out of his cave sometime soon to acknowledge the kind words but I don't know when. The next couple of weeks will be crunch time for the next episode. We are happy you are enjoying the originality of the game.

hojohn

Post by hojohn » Fri May 25, 2018 1:37 pm

So, perhaps if Samantha is not a fan of Brad, she will "sacrifice" herself to demonstrate to Faith what she believes Brad's true character to be. :D

Its a one time thing that derails the Faith path and resolves Samantha.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 pm

hojohn wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:37 pm
So, perhaps if Samantha is not a fan of Brad, she will "sacrifice" herself to demonstrate to Faith what she believes Brad's true character to be. :D

Its a one time thing that derails the Faith path and resolves Samantha.
I like the way your mind is working. And I love hearing the conjecture about where things may be headed. :D

We will certainly be having more conversations and possible interactions with Sam. All sorts of possibilities are in the air, some not too bad and others - - - well, that is enough from me for now. :twisted:

What do the rest of you folks think??

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Fri May 25, 2018 4:38 pm

It's a non sequitur. Brad's been going to this bar regularly. Faith already knows what his true character is and she says as much in the existing dialogue. His paths to screwing that up are already defined. He can screw it up with three different women in this particular part of the script, although he may not know until later if he screwed it up. Do we really need a fourth? It would seem logical Samantha would be working at the bar on any future path that involves Faith so there might be room for something there that doesn't seem like it was forced purely in the interest of "inclusion" of another character. If Samantha genuinely dislikes Brad the chances that she would even engage him are slim and none. She knows Faith likes him and women don't generally go out of their way to make their working environment uncomfortable.

There's probably a way to work more of Samantha into the game but I'm not sure that would be the best option.

hojohn

Post by hojohn » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 am

All of these observations make good sense. I certainly don't think another romance-able character is needed, as the game is already the most complex I have ever seen.
My thought is only that once an attractive character is introduced, there are thousands of fans thinking about that character, so some type of resolution for the ancillary characters that is compatible with the main story lines helps provide a sense of completion. I liked the Candy resolution, but certainly there must be other techniques that would work, even without killing characters off. Or it could be left open and there could be a sequel - Weekend at Samantha's Erotic Bar, reprising some of the same collateral characters in their future adventures after Brad and Faith have left to open the We are Watching You (déshabiller) video analysis agency. :D

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sun May 27, 2018 1:57 pm

hojohn wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 am
... some type of resolution for the ancillary characters that is compatible with the main story lines helps provide a sense of completion. ...
How about if she just kicks him right in the 'nads? Or maybe tosses a drink in his face and throws him out? Or else, she could ... :lol:

What happened with Candy was a great way to link in a side story for a fun secondary character and provide a variety of nice naughty scenes for the players. But, they don't all have to end so well for our hero. Brad is not that smooth. There are even some story lines for main characters that do not go very well. :twisted:

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 am

Wow! so many questions about this thread I would like to ask!

When did we establish Faith and Serenthia know each other? Tell me it's more then they are both short. (SORRY, you were right mixed up the names)

I'm thinking there's a lot of concern over who Brad is able to have sex with, not so much about the underlying story line? I hope Wolf doesn't pick up on that and turn this into a "hump" game. I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

The phrase Brad our hero?????? So far I'll give you Brad as a main character. Until I see something else out of him, he ain't no hero!

But things we might look forward to in case Wolf is listening. I think Brad getting his butt handed to him by Ben once he finds out Brad had sex with Candy would be a riot! Don't kill him off, but he could play that out for a little sympathy from Natalie perhaps.

I also can't help but wonder, if Emily's ex boy friend might be gay or bisexual. Lots of paths in the apartment kind of open that possibility. If so that's a piece of the puzzle that starts to fit.

I'm still unable to comprehend all the weird stuff Brad's exposed to and we get no real freak out. Come on, Here's a girl that could eat my soul, oh cool but she didn't hurt anyone? Oh and she mentioned there must have been another one around me lately, Oh well wonder who that might be? Oh and look here this girl can disappear and my partner thinks she might be involved in a bunch of murders. Wow is she cute!

Now maybe I'm just a little bit paranoid, but if I went through that stuff, I'd be more worried about surviving the erotic week then seeing how many of the girls I could bang. Does the boy have no survival instincts at all?????
Last edited by dutch on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 am

You're overanalyzing the game. Not everything in life has a logical explanation. The game is called Brad's Erotic Week, meaning the entire game encompasses seven days of Brad's life. Do any seven days of your life explain everyone and everything about anyone with whom you have ever had contact? Have you ever known any female you could fully understand in seven days? Seven weeks? Seven months? Seven years? :lol:

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:25 am

dutch wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 am
... When did we establish Faith and Serenthia know each other? Tell me it's more then they are both short.
I don't think we have established any such thing.

Could you be confusing Serenthia, with whom we have no reason to believe Faith knows, with Samantha, whom Faith definitely knows and works with?

There have been a lot of discussions in various forums about Eddie's sexuality. Brad may have some suspicions but I don't think we know anything for sure.

And who has said anything about Brad surviving the week? :twisted:

bearbastard

Post by bearbastard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:28 am

Pretty obvious this is Wolfshadows version of Barney Stinson's Perfect Week. Brad's gotta stay focused in the game man. Soul-sucking vampires are only a minor detail.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 am

dutch wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 am
I hope Wolf doesn't pick up on that and turn this into a "hump" game.
I heard from a somewhat reliable source that this will never happen.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am

I can tell you that you never fully understand people. It doesn't matter how long you have. People are constantly changing. There was a time core values would remain the same, but those days are gone now. So if I find things don't make sense I could say well I just didn't understand the situation well enough. I didn't know the people well enough. Or I didn't have enough information. But if I'm going to make a commitment to follow this story for 2-3 years, it would be really nice for it to have a logical path and at least one foot near reality.

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't really care about the sex scenes, I'm chasing the story line and the mystery. So what floats your boat may not be of much interest to me. As the story line and mystery may not be for you. Here we have a situation where poor Wolf now has to try to make his game appeal to a larger customer base. That's got to make it harder. If he remains true to the quality of the story line he must proceed slowly and make logical progressions. But if he abandons the quality story line and make this a "hump" game, he can bang this puppy out in a couple of weeks and it will take it's place beside so many unremarkable games no one will remember it. I don't think that's what Wolf is shooting for. The quality I've seen so far and the massive effort these folks have put in indicate they are trying to do something remarkable here.

Anyway, just my humble thoughts and opinions.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 am

dutch wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am
Here we have a situation where poor Wolf now has to try to make his game appeal to a larger customer base.
Nope. Never have. Never will. I'm making the game that I want to play. Some will like it, and some won't. For those that don't like it, there are plenty of other games that they can go play. I'm not in it for money or glory. It's simply a fun hobby for me. That means I'm not pandering to anyone.
dutch wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am
I don't think that's what Wolf is shooting for.
You are absolutely correct. There is "humping" in the game, certainly, but that is not the main focus. The story is king, and I can explain why every character reacts the way that they do in every situation. In some cases, players don't have all the information yet, but as the story progresses, some things that have happened that seem odd will make more sense.

dutch
Not-so-Newbie

Post by dutch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

Two thumbs up! I was thinking last night how terrible it would be after Brad has completed his week and fought his way to some victorious ending. To have the last scene of the game Go black as it did with Azumi's attack and then have him slowly recover to see Serenthia standing over him with a surgical mask on say something like " Now Sir, you're going to be a little groggy and disoriented until the gas wears off, but that tooth look fine now. My orderly Ben will take you out to waiting room when you feel ready". Brad then finds out it's all been a dream while he was having dental work done. Have him look around the office to see a few of the girls waiting behind the counter and the other folks sitting in the waiting room.

That would make me very SAD! :(

It's obvious you're trying to create something very special here. Your work is excellent and the quality standard is top notch. Keep up the good work. You've even convinced me to become a patron. You see, you are a saleman!