Episode 6 Options

General discussion of the overall game goes here.
Salvatio

Re: Episode 6 Options

Post by Salvatio » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:50 pm

Coming out of the lurking shadows to chime in here and quickly mention this before people make a bigger deal of it than it is...
moskys wrote:C'mon guys, calm down. Here DerpDerpington is expressing his feelings, which I find reasonable to some extent.
You are completely correct. It is an understandable reaction, and to a certain extent, I must admit I felt a little disappointed as well after the first couple of delays. (Last one is completely understandable..)

DerpDerpington has a point when he says that if people donate money there is a moral expectation for the receiver to commit to his/her promises and deliver.

HOWEVER, (and this is where DerpDerpington is wrong imo), there is a difference between being a donator and being a producer of a project. Donating money creates moral expectation, but that's about as far as it goes. The creator is still completely capable of making his/her own decisions over the course of the project, whereas producers have a say in that matter.

So he can be mad and lower his donation amount, (which is perfectly fine), but realize that, as a donator to this project, there is absolutely no binding law that requires the creator to keep in line with his estimated due dates of the project in order to satisfy his donators. Which were, after all, only estimates. And never, in fact, were they ever said to be set dates of release.

So relax, I'm sure he's working hard enough on this project as is.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:15 pm

DerpDerpington wrote:I am very very disappointed.
Hi DerpDerpington! Welcome to the forum. It's good to see you in the forum and joining the discussion. Nope, I'm not being sarcastic. I can understand your disappointment, and in some ways, I share it. I think the main issue here is that I haven't maintained the Patreon page properly, although I thought I was fairly clear on the page that a majority of information and all rewards and communication would occur on the forum. I'll look into that and see if I can make it a bit more clear.
DerpDerpington wrote:Not only you didn't meet original May's release, but in addition cancelling at least half of promised content? Damn!
I would like to clarify. No content has been cancelled. The release order has simply been changed. The size of Episode six is in the range identified on the Patreon page, and is roughly the same size as the originally scheduled content. I would like to reiterate that when the original vote was placed for inclusion content, we knew it would be a stretch. We are doing 3 inclusions which original estimates would take 18 months. (6 months each)
I would also like to clarify, there was no vote about options. I asked for feedback before I made a decision. I also tried to explain the reasoning for my decision.

I guess this is a good time to ask what is a preference, to give estimated release months, and risk missing them occasionally, or to simply say "when it's ready" and never give a release month.

If there is too much backlash for missed release dates, I'll switch to a "when it's ready" format and never answer a question about when something will be ready, but frankly, I don't like doing that. I like to try and give at least some idea about when I want to finish the content. Really, the reason that I have patreon to charge by release and not by month is because this isn't my job, this is my hobby, and there are other priorities in my life, such as my real job which feeds my family, and also my family itself. The patreon page lets the hobby pay for itself instead of me paying for everything out of my own pocket, which I would do anyway, because, you know, it's a hobby.
DerpDerpington wrote:You still believe in that original timeline in the first post?
I believe it's my current plan. I believe it's a realistic timeline if everything goes well. I believe it will change. I also believe there will be other delayed releases in the future. I could release trash on time, or I could release BEW content when it's ready.
DerpDerpington wrote:also criticism is part of feedback, if you can't take it, then you shouldn't visit forums or internet discussions.
I can take it! :) Derp is providing constructive criticism and is expressing that he is very disappointed. That tells me that he enjoys the game, and really wants more content, and wants it quickly. Frankly, I'm flattered that he cares enough to get angry about the missed delivery and content swap.

Folks, in DerpDerpington's defense, he is absolutely correct about my abysmal maintenance of the Patreon page. In fact, roughly half the posts on the Patreeon page are there because DerpDerpington messaged me and prodded me to update the page. :) I do need to be better about that.
moskys wrote:C'mon guys, calm down. Here DerpDerpington is expressing his feelings, which I find reasonable to some extent.
+1. Appreciate the defense folks, and a discussion on the topic is good. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Salvatio wrote:Coming out of the lurking shadows to chime in...
Hi Salvatio, welcome to the forum! Thanks for stepping out of the shadows!
Salvatio wrote:Which were, after all, only estimates. And never, in fact, were they ever said to be set dates of release.
A good point to remember. When it comes to content creation, I'm a one man show. That means, new content is heavily dependent upon my availability. It also means, when my job gives me three days notice that I need to fly across the country for a week, taking me away from my render system, there's basically a content halt.

I'm not saying that I"m a one man show to put the game out. Kexter is amazing and helpful with programming the game engine and helping to maintain the forum and website, and all the testers do a fantastic job, and all are unpaid volunteers. There are a couple applicants currently, one for rendering, and one for writing, that I hope will be able to help with content creation.

jimmyfishton

Post by jimmyfishton » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm personally, as a freeloader, just happy for something new. This is easily the best game of it's kind, and an absurdly ambitious project to be doing for free.

That said... My F5 is wearing down. Can we get like, percentage odds on today/tomorrow/Monday?

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:14 pm

jimmyfishton wrote:Can we get like, percentage odds on today/tomorrow/Monday?
Hi Jimmyfishton! Welcome to the forum!

Today = 20%
Tomorrow = 50%
Monday = 100%

Note to Patrons: There will be a paid post around noon PST. It's a bit unusual as I usually post the game files with paid posts, but there's a couple lingering, minor bugs to fix, plus one more pass on the Achievement hints for the multi-step achievements. Patreon is wonky about paid posts at the beginning of the month, doing things like Patron credit card holds for the rest of the month and weird account interest things. That's why all releases are normally scheduled for the end of the month. The game content will go out on Patreon, and be available for download here as soon as it's ready, but no later than Monday (PST for you people where today is actually tomorrow :) .)

d22249
Insane Patron!

Post by d22249 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 pm

moskys wrote:
moskys wrote: Anyway, there'll always be haters :roll:
Told ya :lol:
You win the point for this one. ;)

Score: Moskys 1 (for the reasonable assumption that haters gonna hate)
D22249 0 (for foolishly believing that people who donate to a game that they can get for free at about the same time as the people who donate won't hate).

I'm curious as to why DerpDerpington is donating at all. This level of disappointment is usually reserved for the developers who "mash the pay button" every month while giving very little and pretty much requiring people to pledge to get content.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DONATE TO GET THE CONTENT AT NEARLY THE SAME TIME AS THE PATRONS.

I do find it reasonable to reduce or cancel a pledge if you are not satisfied with the artist.

I do not find it reasonable to assume that all of the other patrons will reduce or delete their pledges.

I've been on this board since the inception and I've found the other long time patrons to be very understanding and supportive of this project. We asked Wolfschadowe to do all three inclusions when he was offering to do one. He foolishly ( :P ) agreed. My pledge remains unchanged.

Wolfschadowe, have a much deserved burger and two beers (domestics, not imports as you are outrageously late :P), on me.

d22249
Insane Patron!

Post by d22249 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 pm

moskys wrote:it's quite logical some people get upset, even if they are not paying on a monthly basis but just per release.
Sure, if you've actually paid.

FelixKJ

Post by FelixKJ » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:06 pm

I understand DerpDerpington upset, because of the continuos delays and the changes in the original plan. Many of use were waiting for Jasmine. I love the respect that is in this community. Let's keep with that even when there are people who think otherwise or are disappointed or even angry. Anyways I'm just glad new content will be publish soon. We are going to have some action now and in three month more!

kaft

Post by kaft » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:11 pm

So when is the new content being released?

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:34 pm

kaft wrote:So when is the new content being released?
Monday, at the latest.

Sebastian
Insane Patron!

Post by Sebastian » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:06 am

JFR wrote:
Sebastian wrote:... Dammit so sick of the cheating whore already :evil: . ...
Don't bottle it up, tell us how you really feel. ;) :D
Don’t worry I will. I have a long standing mental deficiency called brutal honesty. At my age it’s more likely I keel over dead rather than change.
DerpDerpington wrote:

I am very very disappointed.

To reflect amount of my disappointment I have lowered my pledge on Patreon from Dinner level (25$) to Coffee (1$), because that's the amount of money you deserve for this loathsome change of plans.

Not only you didn't meet original May's release, but in addition cancelling at least half of promised content? Damn!
I have considered cancelling my pledge altogether, but I am giving you a benefit of doubt.
You are lucky other patrons don't visit your forum (often), because they wouldn't take this news kindly as well...
You do realize that Wolfschadowe has a life that does not revolve around this game, right? You do realize that you don’t get charged until he releases anything, right? We as Patrons caused this clusterfuck of a situation, not Wolfschadowe. We asked for all 3 inclusion girls to be added at once rather than piecemeal. Hell it was originally going to be done over an 18 month period as the girls actually came into the timeline. Hell I think he is doing a great job to cut that timeline in half.
DerpDerpington wrote:
lurking wrote:Wolfschadowe is not your employee. Please don't treat him as if he was.
Since I am giving him my money, then technically... 8-)

also criticism is part of feedback, if you can't take it, then you shouldn't visit forums or internet discussions.
There is such a thing as constructive criticism, ever heard the phrase? There is nothing constructive in your statement. Technically, it’s called a donation not a wage. Wow you pay a whole $25.00 a release, I Pay $100.00 a release and you don’t see me being rude, criticism or not. Dude lighten up a little. It’s called life; don’t stress the dumb shit so much, none of us are getting out alive.

Wolfschadowe, shit brother hit the button and make us wait till end of September anyway just for shiggles and gits :D
You want me to put my hand where....... Ok you asked for it.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 am

Sebastian wrote:... Don’t worry I will. I have a long standing mental deficiency called brutal honesty. At my age it’s more likely I keel over dead rather than change. ...
Oh, don't do that. We're having too much fun. :lol:

jimmyfishton

Post by jimmyfishton » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote: Today = 20%
Tomorrow = 50%
Monday = 100%
Soooo, looks like we're at 0% before Monday now?

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:13 pm

jimmyfishton wrote:
Wolfschadowe wrote: Today = 20%
Tomorrow = 50%
Monday = 100%
Soooo, looks like we're at 0% before Monday now?
Depends on your time zone. At my writing of this, it's about 10AM Friday.
Good chance it will be ready today. NO guarantee on that, but lets say, 80% for today (my time)

jimmyfishton

Post by jimmyfishton » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Oh! I was taking things too literally and figured if it wasn't yesterday (that post's "tomorrow"), you wouldn't be working on it at all until Monday.

Neat!