Internal Server Error

Download the game, or support requests. Also a link to the bug tracker.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

Internal Server Error

Post by JFR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Been getting this error a LOT this week. It has been nearly impossible to get into the forum as a result. About 1 in 10 tries actually connects.

Just FYI.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: Internal Server Error

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 am

JFR wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 pm
Been getting this error a LOT this week.
I have been getting the same thing. Not sure what's causing it. I'm looking into it, but I think it's a server side issue that I have to take up with the hosting provider.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Seems to have been corrected. At least I've managed to get in 3 times in a row.

EDIT: Of course, when I went to post this response, I got the error again. Took a couple tries to get it to post. <sigh>

moskys
Lunch Patron

Post by moskys » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 am

It's still there, but it's far less common than a couple of days ago

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 am

Yes, it is much better but still happening. Averaging once or twice per day for me. It is easy enough to hit the Reload arrow but still a little aggravating. The hosting service seems to still have something wonky going on.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:15 am

General information for users.

The "Internal Server Error" that was plaguing the forum awhile back seems to be much less common but is still occasionally occurring. I have noticed that it seems to happen to me more often when I am replying to threads or posting new threads. I have not seen it recently when simply logging in and reading the site.

In case you get that error, I have had success and can recommend simply using the "Reload" button on your browser to recycle the page. On my browser, it is indicated with a circular arrow and is located near the upper left-hand corner of the browser pane. Over the last week or more, that action has been 100% effective in getting past that error.

infiniteignorance
Not-so-Newbie

Post by infiniteignorance » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 am

I got that internal server error earlier today when trying to mark the forums read.
It's an AJAX / javascript error which might be caused by an add on or modification.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:50 am

infiniteignorance wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 am
I got that internal server error earlier today when trying to mark the forums read.
It's an AJAX / javascript error which might be caused by an add on or modification.
Wolf has contacted his hosting service about the issue. If it is a software issue, it is almost certainly on their end. Since he spoke with them the problem has gone from site-killing to barely a minor annoyance so it appears they have taken some action. If it doesn't get any worse, I think we can live with it.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:07 am

the primary issue is the server is shared hosting, and some sites (Not BEW) are sometimes hogging server memory. When the server runs out of memory, we get the error message. Usually the server is sitting around 14% memory utilization, and the host is looking into who is causing the memory spikes and what might be done about it.

Tao Dude
BEW Tester

Post by Tao Dude » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 am

Could be a denial of service attack on one of the co-hosted websites.

Like JFR, I found that the reload button cured it, so it is clearly a temporary/occasional resource high watermark issue. Memory is favourite, as a bandwidth issue would not give a server side error.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:15 pm

We are aware that this nasty little issue has been popping up again. It is being worked on but seems to be less pervasive than it was a few months ago. I have had some luck just clearing my browser and trying to log in again. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 tries. The Reload button seem to be ineffective. Hopefully, the problem will go away quickly.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 am

Seems to have been resolved for now. Hopefully we will have another period of months without it.