Tech question re: achievement file

Download the game, or support requests. Also a link to the bug tracker.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

Tech question re: achievement file

Post by JFR » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am

Tech question for whichever of you guys feels like educating me on some of the game minutia.

I have a master copy of the game I have been playing for months in which I have completed all of the achievements so far (episode 6.) For ease-of-play reasons, I have been experimenting with maintaining and playing multiple copies of the game, in separate files and using a different browser, so I can try to keep all of the main character paths together and separate from each other. So far, I have one copy of the game in which I am playing Emily-specific paths, one for Natalie and Azumi paths and so on. It sounds crazy but I am finding it a lot easier to keep track of the main paths where I don't have to scroll through dozens and dozens of saves to find a path that I want. I am keeping my "main" game completely isolated from the new ones so the old saves and achievements stay safe.

My question - if I Import the full Achievements file into one of the newer iterations of the game where I have not replayed many of the little side paths, will it fill in all the achievements from the full game even though the new game does not include the completed gameplay or will it break the game? It would be nice to be able to have all the achievements done without actually having to play them all again so I can concentrate on the new major paths. Is this going to work?

nymph21

Re: Tech question re: achievement file

Post by nymph21 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:33 am

Hi JFR.

I believe that all your achievements that are in your save file will come through, even if you have not played those paths on that browser. I have imported my achievemnst into a brand new browser game and they all came through even though I had not played any paths on that browser.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am

nymph21 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:33 am
Hi JFR.

I believe that all your achievements that are in your save file will come through, even if you have not played those paths on that browser. I have imported my achievemnst into a brand new browser game and they all came through even though I had not played any paths on that browser.
First-hand experience is always nice. Thanks!

Since I have played a number of paths and completed several achievements in the new file, I am still a bit nervous but your experience helps.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:27 pm

JFR wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am
if I Import the full Achievements file into one of the newer iterations of the game where I have not replayed many of the little side paths, will it fill in all the achievements from the full game even though the new game does not include the completed game-play or will it break the game?
This is safe an will not break the game. It will fill in all achievements without the need to replay them.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Wolfschadowe wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:27 pm
This is safe an will not break the game. It will fill in all achievements without the need to replay them.
Thanks.

gamiller

Post by gamiller » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 am

I have a slightly different question I have the game installed on a USB drive so I can play it on different computers is there any way to have the saves and achievements also go on to the USB drive

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:11 am

Welcome to the forums. :D
gamiller wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 am
I have a slightly different question I have the game installed on a USB drive so I can play it on different computers is there any way to have the saves and achievements also go on to the USB drive
Yes. Use the Main Menu/Options/Export functions to export both your saves and achievements. You may need to copy them from the hard drive to the flash drive. Then when you change computers, use the Main Menu/Options/Import Saves and Import Achievements to copy the files back into whatever game you are playing. The Import function allows you to navigate to wherever you have the files stored.

Note that the Export functions will save a copy of the relevant files wherever your browser is set to save downloaded files. On many systems, that will be the Download folder.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:37 am

Hi gamiller! Welcome!
gamiller wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 am
is there any way to have the saves and achievements also go on to the USB drive
To add a bit more technical to what JFR said, all the information is part of the browser cache, so unless you are using a portable browser that keeps it's cache on the USB drive then you will have to export and import your saves and achievements constantly.

If you are looking for a portable broswer, I've been using the FREE Portable Apps from https://portableapps.com/ for over 10 years, and I love it. You can install portable versions of both Firefox and Chrome, as well as many, many other apps that all live 100% on the USB drive. If you use the portable apps version of Firefox or Chrome, then your savegames and achievements will automagically travel with your USB drive.

gamiller

Post by gamiller » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:47 pm

I must be missing something I installed Firefox portable to my USB drive but when I start the game it reads the saves from the hard drive not the USB drive

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:49 pm

gamiller wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:47 pm
I must be missing something I installed Firefox portable to my USB drive but when I start the game it reads the saves from the hard drive not the USB drive
I am going to leave this one for Wolfschadowe as I don't have any experience using portables. In the short term, you should be able to get around this by starting the game and immediately going to Main Menu/Options and Import Saves from the flash drive. That should overwrite the save file in the game. You will have to do this every time as it seems the default is to look at the HDD upon start-up of the game.

I'll defer to Wolf for suggestions as to a long term fix.