Disappearing images?

Download the game, or support requests. Also a link to the bug tracker.
JFR
BEW Community Manager

Disappearing images?

Post by JFR » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:10 am

I have noticed that some in-line images that I have posted, as well as some Wolfschadowe has posted, in various sub-forums have become unviewable in the forum some time after posting. They seem to stay visible for a period of time and then drop out, with only a place-holder icon being visible. Others stay visible indefinitely. I think that at least some of my images that are no longer visible are ones I originally linked from a temporary folder and have since moved or deleted. I assumed that the image would be preserved on the server and not need to link back to the original on my HDD, which would be pretty inefficient. My laptop is not always on.

Could it really be that the forum software is attempting to find the images in their original locations? Or might this just be a function of time since they were posted. It is confusing since some of the earliest images I posted are still visible but some later ones are not. If this is simply a matter of original file location, I will make sure to keep all my postings in a permanent archive folder but that doesn't really seem very likely.

An example is the last post of this thread where the image n1-bar4_B.jpg has become an icon - http://bradseroticweek.rocks/bewbb/view ... ?f=9&t=309

Any ideas what might be happening here?

kexter
Developer / Moderator

Re: Disappearing images?

Post by kexter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:18 am

JFR wrote:Could it really be that the forum software is attempting to find the images in their original locations?
Nope. When you upload a picture it gets stored on the server and is always served from there.
More to the point, all images appear to show up fine for me, so I really don't know if the issue is on our end or yours. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:43 am

kexter wrote:
JFR wrote:Could it really be that the forum software is attempting to find the images in their original locations?
Nope. When you upload a picture it gets stored on the server and is always served from there.
More to the point, all images appear to show up fine for me, so I really don't know if the issue is on our end or yours. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Ok, I am going to have to investigate a bit more. Just to add to my confusion, if I right-click on the place-holder icon and open the image in a new tab, it displays normally. I have no idea why this is happening.

I'm so confused. :?

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:49 am

We recently implemented encryption on the pages for HTTPS content and then made the HTTPS connection mandatory. My theory, which my or may not be correct, is that some of the old links to images are for http instead of https, and error out, but get updated if your right click and open. There may be some odd issues like this as your browser gets forwarder updates (from HTTP to HTTPS) and caches them. Sometimes a simple full page reload using the F5 key will resolve the issue. In extreme circumstances a full browser cache and cookie clearing may be necessary. Or try opening the tab in an "in-private" or similar browser tab and see what happens to determine if it's a caching issue. Most of these little errors should work themselves out over the next few days as your browsers get used to accessing https content.

The same may be true for bew.rocks/play or bew.rocks/vault links.

If I access the site with a fresh browser, I don't have any issues myslef, but if I use my normal browser for access, I occasionally get some transient wonkiness.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:32 am

I am still working on it but can report that even when using a completely different browser I am still having the issue. I suspect it is something in my Win10 settings. I use Chrome but booted up a "virgin" copy of Firefox, set up my U/N and P/W and found the same missing images. This is not a real problem for me as everything I post is visible for a fairly long period of time before disappearing and only some images seem to be affected. The oldest images I posted are still there. :?: It is just frustrating that I can't sort it out. I really don't want to clear my cache and cookies completely as I am too lazy to want to re-input all of my other site passwords. :roll:

Not a big problem. I'll wait and see if the issue goes away as the "migration to https glitches" are cleared up.

FYI - both FF and Edge reported that this site has a "problem" with its security certificate. I have to "accept the risk" to get here. Probably something to do with your change to https. My old bookmark in Chrome connects right up with no nagging.

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Ok, I cleared out my password and "Remember Me" settings, redid them from scratch and now everything works as expected. I have no idea why this all happened but am now seeing all the images. Thanks for the insights.

I also have no clue why Firefox reports the site as unsecured, with an invalid certificate, and tries to dissuade me from coming here but Chrome still loves you so I am happy.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm

JFR wrote:both FF and Edge reported that this site has a "problem" with its security certificate.
So that's odd. FF and Edge both work normally for me. What is likely happening is that the server is hosted, so it doesn't have a fixed dedicated IP address. That means a protocol called SNI (Server Name Identification) is used to resolve the Server to the Certificate. If the SNI service in the browser isn't working for some reason, like if security settings are set higher than the default, the scary "problem" message comes up.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:26 pm

An important additional note.

If overriding a certificate for this site, always check to make sure it's pointing to bradseroticweek.rocks before accepting the override!