S01E05 Download Opens Onto Blank Screen

Download the game, or support requests. Also a link to the bug tracker.
Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Re: S01E05 Download Opens Onto Blank Screen

Post by Wolfschadowe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Darkefire wrote:non-OS drive, though, nothing in the game code suggests that it should be looking to the root of the drive.
I know from past experience, many OS's will protect the root of a drive. This is likely a legacy protection as in the earlier days of DOS/Windows 3.x, computers could only access a limited number of files in the root directory, and later, it became a malware/virus vector to corrupt all data on the drive by executing from the root directory. In other words, while D:\Start.htm may not work, something like D:\BEW\Start.htm should work. I know I personally run BEW from my M:\ drive. No, I don't have that many drives. :) I just re-letter drives where M:\ = Media. I've also successfully ran the game directly from a USB stick, although, once a gain, I've never tried running it from the root of the drive.

roficimo

Post by roficimo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm also having an issue. In Ep. 05 it will open to the main screen but without any images. It is fully unzipped. It is on my root drive. All of the .jpg files are present. I am trying using Windows 7 and IE 11. I notice in Ep. 04 they are HTML files. I've been trying to go through the forums, but haven't found anything to work for me as of yet. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:57 pm

There is a known bug preventing the game from working in IE. We should have a patch out by the end of the week. As a workaround, you can play in Chrome or FireFox.

roficimo

Post by roficimo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks. Chrome is working fine.

pjbond

Post by pjbond » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm not tech savvy, so I'll just add my experience to the forum. Everything seemed to run fine on my Mac and Firefox until this morning. Yesterday I did download the newest patch, and that seems to be when the problem started. I click start as I always have, then I get a mostly black screen with jumbled images in the background. If I click "Skip Intro" after that, it goes to an upside down picture of the opening street scene.

Like I said, I have no experience or knowledge to speak of when it comes to game codes, etc. I've tried redownloading the game and then importing my achievements, but to no avail.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:20 pm

pjbond wrote:I click start as I always have, then I get a mostly black screen with jumbled images in the background. If I click "Skip Intro" after that, it goes to an upside down picture of the opening street scene.
I don't know of anything in the code that could cause that. That's pretty weird, especially the upside down image.

In order to test it out and see if we can somehow recreate what you are seeing, can you tell us:

What Operating system (Windows/Linux/Mac/etc..):
What browser (IE / FireFox / Chrome / Safari / Edge / Opera / Vivaldi/ etc...):
The version number in the bottom right corner of the game menu:

If possible, can you PM me a screenshot?
(On windows, tap the print screen button on the keyboard, open "Paint" and press CTRL+C. Save the file and then attach it to a post.)

Wolfschadowe.

OldCuteBoy
(1962-2016) Requiem in Pax

Post by OldCuteBoy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:15 pm

pjbond wrote:I'm not tech savvy, so I'll just add my experience to the forum. Everything seemed to run fine on my Mac and Firefox until this morning. Yesterday I did download the newest patch, and that seems to be when the problem started. I click start as I always have, then I get a mostly black screen with jumbled images in the background. If I click "Skip Intro" after that, it goes to an upside down picture of the opening street scene.

Like I said, I have no experience or knowledge to speak of when it comes to game codes, etc. I've tried redownloading the game and then importing my achievements, but to no avail.
Did you try to delete the Browsercache after patching the game?
FF somtimes causes problems with Updates and Patches in online-games ...
Remember; FF is a 32bit version it's better to use the chrome64bit if you can.

Hope this helps ;)
Best Regards
OCB
R.i.P.: OldCuteBoy
* 01.12.1963 - Dec. 01st 1963
+ 22.09.2016 - Sept. 22nd 2016

Thank you all for the condolences ...

pjbond

Post by pjbond » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Chrome seems to work just fine...fingers crossed!
Thank you!

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 am

Darn it! Sorry to see the spammers are finding our little corner of the world. :evil:

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:44 am

JFR wrote:Darn it! Sorry to see the spammers are finding our little corner of the world. :evil:
Spammer IP, Username & email banned permanently. Message deleted. Usually we catch these pretty quick, but seems all the mods were busy today. Sorry folks! :D

JFR
BEW Community Manager

Post by JFR » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:02 am

Wolfschadowe wrote:... seems all the mods were busy today. Sorry folks! :D
Busy moving the next episode along is the best excuse. :D