S01E05 Download Opens Onto Blank Screen

Download the game, or support requests. Also a link to the bug tracker.
Chainbears

S01E05 Download Opens Onto Blank Screen

Post by Chainbears » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm a Mac user with firefox. When I open my download of the latest release it opens onto a black screen with a white rectangle. All of the other times I have downloaded previous releases of BEW it has played fine. I made sure that I am playing an unzipped version of the game. I don't know what else could be wrong.

kexter
Developer / Moderator

Re: S01E05 Download Opens Onto Blank Screen

Post by kexter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:16 am

We can't test on Mac (because we don't have one), so I'll have to ask for your help on this one. First, does http://bew.rocks/play work for you on the same machine and browser combination? Second, are you absolutely sure that the zip is fully extracted? As in, have you check that there are images/etc in the "Files/" folder and its subdirectories? Third, I'll need the version info for your OS X and Firefox. Also, is the problem localized to Firefox only, or does it happen with other browsers as well? And lastly, if you start the game and then bring up the developer console (Cmd+Opt+K for Firefox), does it have any warnings or errors listed?

Das

Post by Das » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:33 am

I'm having same issue on windows pc using Chrome.

Chainbears

Post by Chainbears » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:59 pm

So... I mentioned to Wolf that I am not tech savvy at all. I noticed that I am not actually using Firefox; I am using Safari. I decided to try Firefox and that works. That other Chrome guy should just download that.

Das

Post by Das » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:19 pm

I've tried it on IE, Chrome and Firefox same problem on all three.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Das wrote:I've tried it on IE, Chrome and Firefox same problem on all three.
The only time I've seen the behavior on PC for all three browsers is when trying to run start.htm from inside the compressed zip folder. Windows will allow you to browse a compressed folder as if it's a standard uncompressed folder. There may be other causes we haven't seen yet, but I still have to ask. Can you confirm that you extracted/unzipped the BEW-S01E05.zip file? Need to rule out the known causes first. :)

Das

Post by Das » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Solved it now, I hadn't extracted the file, downloaded a new Zip programme (got sick of uninstalling and re-downloading winzip) and hadn't got used to the different interface. Sorry for the trouble.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Das wrote:Sorry for the trouble.
No trouble at all. :) Glad you got it sorted.

Just as an aside, my favorite zip program for both linux and windows is the free, open source 7-zip. http://www.7-zip.org/

Das

Post by Das » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:14 am

Yeah that's the one I just downloaded, always used to use winzip in past but got fed up of having to uninstall and redownload it everytime the trial period ran out.

Darkefire

Post by Darkefire » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm having a similar issue, completely extracted and running on Firefox but I get a "File not found, Firefox can't find the file at /D:/Start.htm#start" message. There don't seem to be any .htm files in the Dropbox download other than Start.htm, only the images and .js files. Is this normal or did something happen to the download?

dreadwolf

Post by dreadwolf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Darkefire wrote:I'm having a similar issue, completely extracted and running on Firefox but I get a "File not found, Firefox can't find the file at /D:/Start.htm#start" message. There don't seem to be any .htm files in the Dropbox download other than Start.htm, only the images and .js files. Is this normal or did something happen to the download?
I'm having same problem

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 pm

How are you trying to open the file via Firefox?

When running locally, it should show file:/// in the address bar, so for example: file:///D:/Start.htm#start

However, it is a bad idea to try to run this from the root directory of a drive "I.e. D:/Start.

Try moving to a folder so it's file:///D:/BEW/Start.htm if you are running it from a D: drive, either internal or from a removable flash drive.

crs
BEW - Artist

Post by crs » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:11 am

Since others are reporting their bugs, I'll add mine. The game wouldn't load completely in IE. It had the menu at the top, but the game wouldn't load in the center. If I loaded a saved game, it would work for a few pages and then vanish. If I loaded a page directly from a subfolder, it would work for a while and then stop. It works perfectly in Chrome for me, though, so I didn't bother reporting it before now.

Wolfschadowe
Site Admin

Post by Wolfschadowe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:27 am

I meant to post this a couple days ago. The IE issue is being tracked here: Issue #BEW-225

We have a fix in our Development version, and should be pushing it out with the next patch in a couple days.

Darkefire

Post by Darkefire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:17 pm

I figured out a sort-of workaround, moving the game folder onto my primary drive allowed it to run (normally I run these sorts of games off my second hard drive to conserve space on my SSD for stuff that needs installation). Still no idea why this won't run properly from a non-OS drive, though, nothing in the game code suggests that it should be looking to the root of the drive.